I found how to easily destroy doom's textures.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Tartlman

I found how to easily destroy doom's textures.

Post by Tartlman »

First of all, this method does not damage doom.wad or any of your files, so go ahead and have fun with it.

So I was normally loading up a game of doom in zdl, when I accidentally added heretic.wad. I tried running it, and the results are... incredible.
This happens:
https://imgur.com/gallery/XHyVVjO

Unfortunately, this only really works with doom 2 as trying to use the ultimate doom will end up launching a corrupted version of heretic instead.
The corrupted game is completely playable, with absolutely no problems (except for the fact that it rapes your eyes).
I recommend playing without monster wads, since the monster textures are messed up as well, but that's really just optional. All mods and wads should work fine.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: I found how to easily destroy doom's textures.

Post by Rachael »

There is no destruction of textures going on here, and I hope to get this in before people go elitist on you for "pointing out the obvious."

What's actually happening here is, each pixel inside of a texture is a colour reference. The colours are stored in an array of 256 colours, called a palette.

Heretic and Doom have different palettes - so when you load the other game's palette, while keeping its textures, you get the result you've seen there, because the colour indices are so drastically different.

Here's some more info on how this system works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexed_color
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Damn. That's really interesting.
The thing i don't get is, however, why ultimate doom loads heretic instead. The strangeness works fine for doom 2, but not doom 1. I'm guessing this might have something to do with how they are both episodic.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yes. Ultimate Doom and Heretic both store their map order in E#M# - and GZDoom recognizes this with its internal mapinfo. When you load Doom 2, instead, it stores its map order as MAP## - so when you load a map in Doom 2 it's not overwritten by the data from the Heretic wad.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you want to see the effect in Ultimate Doom, use a utility like Slade to export the PLAYPAL lump from your Heretic IWAD and load it (using ZDL) when you play Ultimate Doom.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Messing about with the palette can be fun! :trippy:

Here's a directory of Doom palette conversions I made, with various different effects. (See the text file for more info.) "Noir", "Inverse", and "Olde" are my favorites.

EDIT: I had to fix and reupload the "Noir" palette. (I also added a new one I call "Unicorn".)

Return to “General”