"Might & Magic VI"-like RPG system possible?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
rayburn

"Might & Magic VI"-like RPG system possible?

Post by rayburn »

Hello,

Can you please advise if it is technically possible to make gzDoom kinda work like this: [Might & Magic VI]

Meaning: to have 4 "heads" shooting different projectiles, paperdolls and inventory, stats, skills, spells, etc on par to that game but not exactly replicating it.

This is somewhat a proof-of-concept thing I'm interested in.

SO

Just tell me if this is possible and share some links if you please. I'm ground zero.

Thank you.
Nash

Re: "Might & Magic VI"-like RPG system possible?

Post by Nash »

Yes, it's possible.

No, it won't be easy.

ZScript will be the best way to do such an invasive core gameplay change.
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

Thank you.

I believe I will be able to find something for the basics, but is there any particular guide/example I can refer to on building RPG-like systems like inventory with slots, etc?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

rayburn wrote:Thank you.

I believe I will be able to find something for the basics, but is there any particular guide/example I can refer to on building RPG-like systems like inventory with slots, etc?
To my knowledge, such a thing hasn't been done (and finished) in ZDoom yet. You'd be blazing new trails yourself.
Zan

Post by Zan »

It's going to be hard, but the one who'll manage to bring Might & Magic into Doom shall be rewarded with eternal glory. Think about it.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

In the most basic level, just numbers like skills, experience and functions for it, it can be done within several hours +/- another several hours for making at least parody at balance.
For graphical "candy wrapper" it takes much more times. Because aesthetic, what sprite we put there for shitty rust sword and for epic-mythical-legendary god bane flamberge, etc.

For inventory, you can look how make some in total chaos conversion. But IRC it use a little bit rust zscript way to do so.
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

I am actually more worried about the sequence of attack (4 characters attacking in quick turns, taking their time to recover after action) and quick-spell mechanics (choose a spell and bind it to RMB/LMB), any1 ever touched smth like that?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Spells and offhand attacks using the inventory system are fairly commonplace. A party system, though? I don't think that's ever been done, and you're gonna have to reinvent a whole lotta wheels to make it work.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

From what I see on he video, I have a feeling that whole party system can be implemented by using weapon, which automatically shoot if enemy appears in the crosshair. Projectile depended on "ammo type", party members.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

What about using User1 - User4 custom weapon keys for the "party member" weapons/spells?
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

I summed up the goal and already reading into zdoom with some of my friends. Thank you for your response, it's great to know smb may appreciate this.

- playing Doom wads with a party of 4 pre-built characters, each selectible with a system of menus
- each char with pre-defined skills and hp/sp/etc numbers
- shooting spells and attacks via holding RMB/LMB, including spells like Heal
- spellbook used to cast character-specific abilities directly or assign them to abovementioned buttons
- loot system replacing pickups, inventory with limited slots, equipping weapons/armor
- progression system revolving around skills, loot and experience

Return to “General”