(Multiplayer) Is it ever going to become a good multiplayer

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: (Multiplayer) Is it ever going to become a good multipla

Post by Kinsie »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Kinsie wrote:There are mumblings about giving GZDoom some form of client/server multiplayer architecture, but at the moment these currently remain mumblings.
IIRC these mumblings also included effectively merging Zandronum into GZDoom, eliminating the "keeping ports in sync" problem altogether. Unfortunately this is a huge undertaking, since the C/S code it inherited from Skulltag is apparently scattered everywhere and is mainly of the "just make it work" variety. The only good solution is to start over, but I think we'd need one or more active developers on that specifically. (Not to mention a good bank of testers.)
The mumblings I heard a while back involved some form of collaboration with the Zandronum devs to write a new netcode system that isn't a Carncodian nightmare with tentacles that weave through every part of the codebase, taking care of a lot of problems. Of course, this isn't a trivial "can't you just..." kind of deal, and everyone has their own thing going on, so I don't think they ever progressed past whispers from a bleeding crack in the wall. At least, I haven't heard anything...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Kinsie wrote:The mumblings I heard a while back involved some form of collaboration with the Zandronum devs to write a new netcode system that isn't a Carncodian nightmare with tentacles that weave through every part of the codebase, taking care of a lot of problems. Of course, this isn't a trivial "can't you just..." kind of deal, and everyone has their own thing going on, so I don't think they ever progressed past whispers from a bleeding crack in the wall. At least, I haven't heard anything...
Right... They're kind of busy keeping what they already have from imploding. Imagine the backlash if they decided to freeze development to work on a replacement! Years of "its sucks because it's so far behind ZDoom" were bad enough.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I don't know what causes it, I mean logically there are plenty of times when anyone might have to legitimately clarify that they didn't mean to say or imply X thing or that X is not a logical extrapolation of what they said, but every time I see the specific expression "put words in my mouth" employed that person ends up propounding a losing argument.
I'm not. This is just trying to put words in my mouth. Just saying that it is possible to do something doesn't mean you should. Would you eat a tide pod if I told you it was possible to eat it?
"We need X to do Y"
"Y can be done without X, you can just use Z"
"But we should not use Z to do Y"
"I never said we should use Z to do Y, you're putting words in my mouth"

The inescapable implication here is that speaker #2 is saying "We should not do Y".

Meanwhile, such a person just admitted he literally can't even imagine how shadow size and position data being accessible to enemy AI in an FPS could affect gameplay, so I'm going to say his opinions on Y mean nothing.
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

It's pretty much pointless to argue with people that treat ACS as solely a map scripting tool and that it has no impact on gameplay whatsoever. That's a fruitless endeavor. All I'm going to say on that is "I guess crushers don't affect gameplay, or lava shooting walls, or puzzles have no impact on gameplay and don't count as gameplay scripting".
Matt wrote:I don't know what causes it, I mean logically there are plenty of times when anyone might have to legitimately clarify that they didn't mean to say or imply X thing or that X is not a logical extrapolation of what they said, but every time I see the specific expression "put words in my mouth" employed that person ends up propounding a losing argument.
I'm not. This is just trying to put words in my mouth. Just saying that it is possible to do something doesn't mean you should. Would you eat a tide pod if I told you it was possible to eat it?
"We need X to do Y"
"Y can be done without X, you can just use Z"
"But we should not use Z to do Y"
"I never said we should use Z to do Y, you're putting words in my mouth"

The inescapable implication here is that speaker #2 is saying "We should not do Y".

Meanwhile, such a person just admitted he literally can't even imagine how shadow size and position data being accessible to enemy AI in an FPS could affect gameplay, so I'm going to say his opinions on Y mean nothing.
As for you, I don't recall telling you to NOT use ZScript. I even mentioned how it would make things easier for me if I had the chance to use it... Is listing cons about something now implying you shouldn't ever use the said thing or is it just how things work around here? Feel free to put them as they are instead of hiding behind a passive aggressive tone.

What is this FPS that you're speaking of? Is it a Doom mod? Do show if it is. I thought our context was that so I assume we're still talking Doom here and not any FPS game which highly likely runs on a far superior game engine than this, with ZScript or not.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

IvanDobrovski wrote:It's pretty much pointless to argue with people that treat ACS as solely a map scripting tool and that it has no impact on gameplay whatsoever.
looking down on people because the ocean isn't technically blue sure is grand, especially since there's no way in hell that you'd get away with claiming alien vendetta is a gameplay mod
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Arctangent wrote:
IvanDobrovski wrote:It's pretty much pointless to argue with people that treat ACS as solely a map scripting tool and that it has no impact on gameplay whatsoever.
looking down on people because the ocean isn't technically blue sure is grand, especially since there's no way in hell that you'd get away with claiming alien vendetta is a gameplay mod
Just like there's no way in hell that this thread is even about ACS or ZScript, and sure as hell isn't here for you two to bicker about semantics.

Ergo, goodbye, thread. One should hope for a more sensible discussion the next time the question comes around.

Return to “General”