Monster Teleport in Vanilla Doom

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Falcon

Monster Teleport in Vanilla Doom

Post by Falcon »

Hi Doomers - just a quick question on how to get those damn monsters to cross that teleport line when theres no sight OR sound of the player eg. the sector with the monsters is detached from the main map. An old trick is to connect it to the player sector with a skinny long room resembling a pipe so a gunshot will be heard and get them moving but is there any way you can get them chasing hence crossing that teleport line with no sound or sight?

I've seen maps where these detached monster rooms have a floor which when triggered lowers or a door which opens and that somehow gets the monsters to move and cross the teleport line but when i make a similiar sector the monsters just wont move when the door opens/floor lowers :)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Monster Teleport in Vanilla Doom

Post by Caligari87 »

You need the long pipe to connect the player's sector with the monsters sector and the monsters sector needs to be placed so they will move toward the player when they wake up (so the teleport line must be between the monsters and the player). Monsters can chase without seeing the player, but they will not wake up without some way for the sound to get to them.

E1M9 has a good example of this kind of setup.

I suppose one way around this would be making the monsters sector and the player's sector have the same sector number, but I can't remember if that works or not.

8-)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Select two different sectors and join them (j key by default in most map editors), so sound will travel without a pipe.
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Gez wrote:Select two different sectors and join them (j key by default in most map editors), so sound will travel without a pipe.
LOL
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Caligari87 wrote:You need the long pipe to connect the player's sector with the monsters sector and the monsters sector needs to be placed so they will move toward the player when they wake up (so the teleport line must be between the monsters and the player). Monsters can chase without seeing the player, but they will not wake up without some way for the sound to get to them.

E1M9 has a good example of this kind of setup.

I suppose one way around this would be making the monsters sector and the player's sector have the same sector number, but I can't remember if that works or not.

8-)
Good tip that the teleport line MUST be between the player and monster.
Yeh i mean for the monster to wakeup - they do that either on sight or sound.
Will check out E1M9 and hmm same sector number...sounds very plausible! thanks for all that info!
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

SUCCESS!

After repeatedly making errors in creating that monster sector with the same number as the sector where the player was in and thinking "NOW IT WILL WORK" I looked at that sector containing the monster and thought hmm how can i be sure the monster and me are lined up.. when this sector i'm in is miles long and has turns (he could be going the other way) so instead of a line in front of the monster i put a square sector over the monster with a bit of room so whichever way he went he would hit a teleport line and so when i fired a shot it finally worked!

Thanks for that same sector trick Caligari87 as i have played with this countless times before but never got it to work :D

Edit: Just realized in the original post i said "without sight OR sound" but i didn't actually mean that but meant that since the remote sector was disconnected from the main map itself i thought i couldn't use sight or sound (unless using a pipe room which i didn't want) so that's quite ok.
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Ahh it's weird! Just now went to turn off 97 teleport on the lines one by one to see which direction the monster was going but to my surprise he still kept teleporting on my gun shot so deleted that sector and put a line in front of him (as i did before which didn't work) but now it does!

Return to “General”