Ideas for an Indiana Jones TC

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Solid_Beard

Ideas for an Indiana Jones TC

Post by Solid_Beard »

Just an idea that I had in mind and want to hear from the forum.

If you're making an Indiana Jones TC what would you do ?

I'm not suggesting to make a project just an exchange of ideas.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Ideas for an Indiana Jones TC

Post by Kinsie »

I'd probably implement a mantling system of some kind, limit the amount of weapons within the game to a small amount (fist, whip, revolver, maybe one more), focus a lot on environmental navigation and puzzles punctuated with brief-but-deadly bursts of combat and play the ever-loving shit out of Infernal Machine and the PS1 Tomb Raiders to get level ideas.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I agree with the post above. Combat should be relatively rare, puzzle solving and exploration/trap spooting and avoiding should be the main focus. The LEGO Indiana Jones games could serve as an inspiration for environments and puzzles. That being said, what would the enemies of Indy be? I dislike hitscan enemies, so maybe Mola Ram's brainwashed warriors or dangerous wildlife? then again, Indy as a professor is not known for indiscriminate killing of animals, not even spiders and snakes.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Cherno wrote:That being said, what would the enemies of Indy be? I dislike hitscan enemies, so maybe Mola Ram's brainwashed warriors or dangerous wildlife? then again, Indy as a professor is not known for indiscriminate killing of animals, not even spiders and snakes.
If we're keeping true to the movies, most of the battles would likely be drawn-out bare-knuckle fist-fights with Nazis, usually on the top of moving vehicles.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Playing High Noon Drifter with Kriegsland Enemies Pack and Epic/Epic 2 gives the feeling of Indiana Jones adventure.
As Kinsie said, weapon set can be a bit toned down to be more close to source material.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I would pay attention to the sound part. From Willhelm Screams to classic IJ punch sounds, in order to make things authentic. And maybe a pseudo-boss fight against some grunt bearing a great sword that you can dispatch with a single bullet.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As far as the combat goes, draw inspiration from The Emperor's Tomb, the generally-forgotten PS2/GC/XB game. Combat in this game does sometimes involve projectile weaponry like guns, but ammo is difficult to come by (offset by being ludicrously powerful, see jdredalert's reference). The majority of fights are either bare-knuckle (or you can fight with the whip at longer range but for relatively less damage) or involve Indy grabbing nearby props to smash over peoples' heads (there's a scene in the demo where you get to fight off baddies in a Chinese restaurant with a series of bar stools).
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

A bit of a joke here: make sure you have bats in it! A video game is not a video game without having bats as enemies! We all know that very well! :D
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

use the less slippery movement script from nash, the game should generally be kind of slower with exploration and puzzles in mind and make the shooting feel realistic.

the closest thing to this project you could take inspiration from would be powerslave (just add nazis to it)

Return to “General”