Dev Perspective VS. End User Perspective

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Dev Perspective VS. End User Perspective

Post by Graf Zahl »

It will be back, but rushing things won't help anybody. Now that the release is out it can be done in a far more relaxed fashion and done right.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Interesting...
People dont have anything against potencial malware adition to gzdoom, "videocard survery", but after TEMPORARY removing of resolution selection everyone screams like "This is too much....You cross the line graf. Return it back, NOW! 'sound of punch of a fist on the table.mp3' I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111" :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The survey is not malware. If sending information to an internet site was malicious, all software these days had to be considered malware.
But aside from that you are right - and I still choose to blame MC's misguided advice for that because it came across wrong on all accounts.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

@Apeirogon: You obviously weren't around when the survey was first added. ;) It was like the world was ending. People were rioting in the streets on 4chan about how GZDoom was now the Antichrist manifest in software form.

8-)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I said potencial.

And I remember how after first survey stock quotes of gzdoom fell in price on 60% and wall street journal printed an article "Stock market crash! Wad-s and pack-s will no longer be world currencies!" and reddit were full of headlines "Insider from DRD team post breaking news in which... Read more..."
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Caligari87 wrote:@Apeirogon: You obviously weren't around when the survey was first added. ;) It was like the world was ending. People were rioting in the streets on 4chan about how GZDoom was now the Antichrist manifest in software form.

8-)

I never followed those cesspools, but wanna bet it was mainly the same people as this time?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You win some, you lose some. With high popularity, you simply can't please everyone. Some people, even prominent ones, will inevitably leave over certain decisions you make, and there's nothing you can do about that. If you want the project to survive, you can't let that phase you.

The only thing you can do, is do the best you can, knowing there's always going to be someone who isn't happy.

GZDoom would not be where it is today if it did not take the big risks it did early on. Those risks paid off. In the end, it's always worth it.

Look at where prBoom+ and Eternity are today - both of whom take very few risks, comparatively. I'm sorry, but the fastest dog will always be the one who can blast through the most barriers.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote: Look at where prBoom+ and Eternity are today

So where are they today? Granted, Eternity is just limping along, but that's more a PR problem than anything else (and constantly being dismissed when being mentioned), but PrBoom+ is the de-facto port to use for demo playback.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They're pretty much exactly where they were a year ago, which is where they were a year before that, and so on, and so on.

Yes, they do make innovations, and yes they are popular for their specialty uses, but never have had nearly the same modding flexibility that people often praise GZDoom for.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Have you actually checked Eternity's development? Yes, they do make progress, but like I said, the PR side of theirs is utterly lacking, there's nothing being communicated to their users so it looks like it's making no progress (and thus gaining no new users.)
As an engine with no home page, a stashed-away specialty subforum at Doomworld and a Wiki hosted on a site named "youfailit" :roll: is just not going to cut it. (And their pure software rendering stance is also not going to improve matters, but that's a different thing - ZDoom was the same, after all.)

PrBoom is apparently being considered "complete", it's just too sad that nobody is willing to pick it up and improve upon it.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Come on, guys, we were just talking about being civil and here you are bagging on other source ports in some random thread on your own forum. :/

Anyways, I played a lil bit with that build you posted, Rachel, and it's pretty close to what I was imagining, yeah. Although, the set resolutions are still included in the slider despite there now being a separate submenu for it, but that's just a bit of weird redundancy rather than a huge problem.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm not bagging on them. I quite like both ports. But I am allowed to be critical of their development philosophy, particularly if I feel like being too careful is holding them back. If that is uncivil, then I don't know WHAT those other people were doing when GZDoom took out the resolution selection.
Have you actually checked Eternity's development? Yes, they do make progress, but like I said, the PR side of theirs is utterly lacking
Ah, I haven't checked it lately, what are they doing? o.o
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I'm not bagging on them. I quite like both ports. But I am allowed to be critical of their development philosophy, particularly if I feel like being too careful is holding them back.
Exactly how I see it, too. There's definitely some untapped potential here but I somehow cannot put my finger on it why it all remains so obscure. All things being equal Eternity should have gained at least some traction by now.
Ah, I haven't checked it lately, what are they doing? o.o
Heretic support was one of the bigger things recently. Of course they tried to keep it demo compatible, no idea how that panned out. I guess that falls under "being too careful" in your book, right?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Actually, going for demo support or not is risky both ways, considering how they already did it in Doom, so I think it was bold no matter what direction they went with that. I support them either way, though.

Return to “General”