Does anyone Still use 5:4 / 4:3 aspect ratios nowadays?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Does anyone Still use 5:4 / 4:3 aspect ratios nowadays?

Post by phantombeta »

Graf Zahl wrote:Why? It's pure torture for me.

Recently I had to install some stuff where the installer was some broken piece of shit that only worked on Windows 9x. So I had to get a Windows 98 VM to unpack the thing and copy it elsewhere.
And as it just so happened that VM ran at 800x600 and nothing higher. It was an utter hassle to get anything done on that tiny screen.

No, the bigger a monitor is, the better.
Such is the problem with getting more screen space. It always feels awful and cramped to use a computer or monitor with less screen space. :P
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Graf Zahl wrote:Why? It's pure torture for me.
I like to have the whole game in a window so i can see everything at once.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

As for monitor I've currently got a 1080p 144hz, looking to upgrade to 4k 144hz gsync in the next few years. I usually play DOOM with the full screen HUD at 16:9, but whenever I want to play with the Statusbar I always switch to 4:3. 4:3 with Statusbar is perfect in my opinion, not sure what aspect ratio the game ends up being at that point, but it's wider than 4:3 but not as wide as 16:9.

I occasionally play bullet hell games that allow you to play in portrait mode, and every time I turn my monitor vertically it surprises me just how wide 16:9 really is
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

If I'm playing a game like Doom, my focus is going to be on the game. Just because something may be physically visible on the screen doesn't mean you're actually seeing it. Tunnel vision is a real thing.

Personally, I have the game in a window, and use something notably larger than 800x600. My 1440x900 monitor is fairly small by today's standards (it's not even 1080p!), and I play GZDoom in a 1280x720 window. Gives a nice "standard def" resolution that covers most of the screen, leaving a little space at the edges I can see and click on. But most importantly, It leaves the taskbar visible at the bottom of the screen, so if something needs my attention (someone mentioned me in chat, etc), the taskbar will flash which is often good enough to distract me from the game (and if it's not, having a smaller game window wouldn't help; it might in fact make it harder since I'll have to focus more on the game window because the area is smaller). I don't need the other windows themselves wholly visible, the task bar and systray work just fine to show alerts and notifications, and if I notice something important, I can quickly pause the game and click away to see what's up.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

My desktop is 1280x1024 (with an old 15" flatscreen), and I always run GZDoom in a window (currently 1152x864) due to it's lifelong refusal to alt+tab properly.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Spoiler:
The Way It's (Not) Meant To Be Played (TM): 4k on a 55" TV, via the wonders of Fire TV and Moonlight.

(Please excuse the mess! :))
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I do at times, prefer widescreen most of the time but it just looks cool and sometimes ends up being the only option to save performance

Return to “General”