Possible adaptation for mobile VR?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
outofbullets

Possible adaptation for mobile VR?

Post by outofbullets »

First of all, I'd like to thank all the people that still contribute to the development of Doom-related ports and mods. I couldn't have been happier to see that despite the passing time, there is still a lot of life in the game of my childhood.

Lately, I was able to get my hands on Oculus Go - an android-based standalone VR headset, featuring a chip that's quite capable. The experience is nowhere short of being great, as Oculus has really put together a captivating headset. One of the first games I've sideloaded was Doom for Gear VR - a port of prBoom made by drBeef a few years back. It feels like the essence of Doom, although it's very limited in it's capacity and for some reason, looks half as good as on a Google Cardboard paired with an average phone.

Seeing the tremendous progress done with GZDoom, which has been already tested with the tethered Oculus Rift and successfully built for Linux, I started to wonder, how far current ports are from running in VR on Android devices? Doom makes a thrilling experience in a 360 environment, and with the amounts of user-created content, it would definitely make a mark in the world of VR, especially in light of such capable headset as the Oculus Go.

Oculus is providing the SDK needed for such a transplant, and I'd be more than happy to volunteer to become the first beta-tester of such a feature ;)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Possible adaptation for mobile VR?

Post by Kinsie »

Android-based GZDoom development is handled by Beloko, VR GZDoom development by BioSpud. Ideally, if you wanted Oculus Go support, you should talk to those guys. They probably don't have Go headsets, however, since VR is still pretty pricy, so it might be a difficult ask.

Re: Possible adaptation for mobile VR?

Post by Guest »

got it running vr on deltatouch, the app through gzdoom or lzdoom in the new DEV optional version only using opengl ES 3.2, in the display settings in game i put it in vr and i play with mods in it. i'm trying an alternate way using a non gles 3.2 compatible phone by forcing my phone to be daydream compatible via root modifying system files and running the gzdoom vr app, and another phone as a fake daydream motion controller but mods don't work on it, it's easier to just get the delatouch app instead, but it won't work on old phones, for example, android 5 phones that don't have gles 3.2

Return to “General”