Squished Switch Textures when using DHTP Alt 1.3

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
eharper256

Squished Switch Textures when using DHTP Alt 1.3

Post by eharper256 »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this; but I'm not sure if its a GZDoom bug or an issue with the Texture packs (or maybe even WadSmoosh?). Please move it if needed.

Basically, when using a HD Texture pack, specifically in this case DHTP 1.3 ALT, it seems there is an issue with certain switches textures being squished. For example:

Or this:

So, one would assume (sw1brcom/sw2brcom or one of its several derivatives) are related this issue, right? But weirdly, if you switch off the Hi-Rez textures via the Options/Graphics/OpenGL/Textures menu, you actually get this switch:

This particular switch type doesn't appear to have its own texture in the standard iwads when I browsed through with SLADE, so the fact that is also doesn't exist in the DHTP is to be expected. So I'm guessing its STONE2 with the transparent switch texture added on top (?). So I'm wondering just what's going on here? Is it pulling in a random substitution for the potentially unrecognised texture and in so doing pulling in one thats too big for the wall, and hence squishing it?

Incidentally, I originally thought SW1BRCOM was too wide and needed cropping, but its that size in the iwads...

I wonder if someone can puzzle this out with me. It doesn't make a huge difference to most wad playthroughs at the moment other than making switches harder to spot, but its strange and frustrating behaviour nonetheless.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Squished Switch Textures when using DHTP Alt 1.3

Post by wildweasel »

Are you using a texture pack meant for Doom 2 while playing in Doom/Ultimate Doom? They reuse certain texture names but associate them with different graphics.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There are a number of switches that were in Doom but not in Doom2. However, rather than just remove the switch definitions, they replaced them with a default 128x128 brown switch texture definition - so the texture names are still present but they don't look like the original textures. Some of the original Doom ones were 64x128.

So I'm guessing that the texture pack has replacements for the Doom2 appearance switches and these are being applied wherever the Doom original switches are and GZDoom is squishing the 1:1 ratio hires texture into the 1:2 ratio of the original making it look all squished.

I think that texture packs are supposed to be set up so that GZDoom can use correctly sized replacements when playing Doom versus Doom2 but perhaps wadsmoosh is confusing the issue?

[edit]
Just for the hell of it, here's a couple of pics using the hi-res pack you linked to

As you can see, it works when using doom.wad as the IWAD.
[/edit]
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Enjay wrote:There are a number of switches that were in Doom but not in Doom2. However, rather than just remove the switch definitions, they replaced them with a default 128x128 brown switch texture definition - so the texture names are still present but they don't look like the original textures. Some of the original Doom ones were 64x128.

So I'm guessing that the texture pack has replacements for the Doom2 appearance switches and these are being applied wherever the Doom original switches are and GZDoom is squishing the 1:1 ratio hires texture into the 1:2 ratio of the original making it look all squished.

I think that texture packs are supposed to be set up so that GZDoom can use correctly sized replacements when playing Doom versus Doom2 but perhaps wadsmoosh is confusing the issue?

[edit]
Just for the hell of it, here's a couple of pics using the hi-res pack you linked to

As you can see, it works when using doom.wad as the IWAD.
[/edit]
Right, right. Its the Wadsmoosh then. I had my suspicions, since it throws in the burning cityscape sky as well when playing on Deimos.

Thanks for figuring it out, it was driving me a bit nuts. XD
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Okay, I fixed it by replacing the copies of brcom in the Doom 2 directory (of the texture pack) with their Doom 1 equivalents.

Return to “General”