What are some little-known commands for cheating?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

What are some little-known commands for cheating?

Post by invictius »

Obviously excluding things like god, noclip, etc which should be common knowledge by anyone that's played for a while. I mean things like am_showkeys. I also requested a command that would trigger all linedefs at once but somebody explained that would often not make the way to the exit any more straightforward (though it's in crispy doom and fun to play with).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: What are some little-known commands for cheating?

Post by Rachael »

Behold - many custom cheat codes with the "special" ccmd.

Code: Select all

alias exitlevel "special 243"
alias exitsecret "special 244"
alias noisealert "special 173"
alias changeskill "special 179 %1"
alias freezeme "special 191 0 1 4"
alias teleport "special 70 %1 %2"
(freezeme is meant to be used with thaw)

Some of those are more useful for mapping, but also for debugging maps when they break.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I've meet "impulse 101" as a way to grab all weapons & ammo. I haven't the slightest idea, why this became universal.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Half-Life popularized it. "Impulse" is a Quake-engine cheat that told the game DLL to perform some sort of debug action - and it only accepted integers. "101" was what Half-Life used to enumerate the items list to give the player one single of everything available.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Oh...didn't know that. I thought it has some Easter Egg-ish meaning behind, but apparently, it has technical reasons. Thanks for enlightening me :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Rachael wrote:Half-Life popularized it. "Impulse" is a Quake-engine cheat that told the game DLL to perform some sort of debug action - and it only accepted integers.
In Quake it's really just a client-side cvar that communicated with the game code. It wasn't exclusively for cheating. All the weapon selection binds were impulses. "Impulse" only really stuck around in Half-Life because Valve were lazy to replace it with something else. Future Quakes didn't have impulse at all.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, Leileilol actually made a full on source port for Quake, so she definitely knows what she's talking about, there, a lot more than me. :)

Return to “General”