How to make gzdoom look exactly like zdoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
That_mAntis

How to make gzdoom look exactly like zdoom?

Post by That_mAntis »

I would really like to know how to make gzdoom work exactly like ZDoom v2.8.1 (default settings) I know i need use software rendering and disable dynamic lights but thats all.. could someone give me full list of everything that needs to be disabled and all? would really help.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: How to make gzdoom look exactly like zdoom?

Post by Kappes Buur »

That_mAntis wrote:... how to make gzdoom work exactly like ZDoom v2.8.1 (default settings) ...
What could be more exact than using ZDoom-2.8.1 :)

Or, you could compare both ini files and set the GZDoom variables accordingly. However, it will still not be exact since the renderer has changed quite a bit since then.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The CVARs you're looking for are "r_rendermode 0" and "r_lights 0"

If you used ZDoom's pixel doubling feature, that can be accomplished by using "vid_scalemode 0" and then "vid_scalefactor 0.5" or 0.25. (1 restores native resolution render)

As Kappes Buur said, there's no way to replicate the ZDoom renderer exactly as too much has changed since then, but this will allow you to get as close as possible to it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You can't replicate the old renderer but the new one is better. There are two reasons to use an old build: your hardware is very old and slow or you're a ZDoom purist. In those cases you should use ZDoom LE or even better ZDoom32 which is a bit more modern.
There's a third reason: a regression in a mod but you should report that.

Return to “General”