Any way to prevent overwriting the GZDOOM .ini each launch?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
eharper256

Any way to prevent overwriting the GZDOOM .ini each launch?

Post by eharper256 »

As title states: yesterday evening I tried adding all the various mods I like to play to my .ini, commented out with #, underneath the [Global.Autoload] with short descriptions so I could easily copypasta and/or uncomment mods I'd like to use for a certain megawad, and then dragging and dropping the megawad of choice on GZdoom.

To my horror, all that information was gone today as it seems the ini is completely re-written on GZDoom's launch, deleting all my commented out stuff and only leaving the mods I launched last. :shock: Any way to prevent this from occuring? Is this something I should perhaps do in autoexec or is that purely console commands?

Yes, I'm aware I can use a launcher, but none of them seem especially good for this kind of thing; ZDL is too simple and you might as well just drag and drop. Rocket Launcher has launch profiles, but doesn't have a nice way to sort, describe, rate and categorise my many wads so I have to remember them by filename (and has REALLY small lists that are un-resizable). And Doom Launcher doesn't have any way to set different several mod launch profiles & whilst it does have comments and tabs, its implementation of that is clunky, requiring constant right-clicks to access ratings and changes.
Gez

Re: Any way to prevent overwriting the GZDOOM .ini each laun

Post by Gez »

If you name it gzdoom.ini (instead of gzdoom-user.ini), it'll be used as a template to build the user ini.

Otherwise, no, sorry. Short of making it read-only. You'll have to make do with launchers or batch files.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Gez wrote:If you name it gzdoom.ini (instead of gzdoom-user.ini), it'll be used as a template to build the user ini.

Otherwise, no, sorry. Short of making it read-only. You'll have to make do with launchers or batch files.
Well if that prevents overwrite thats fine; 'tis just a different file for me to edit each time prior to launch. I'll try that.
Hmm, immediate issue with that; if user version exists, it then ignores the template. So with this option I'd have to constantly delete the generated user.ini each launch to get it to regen the file. Ouch.

Actually, though, I had completely spaced on using ye olde .bat files. Guess that's also an option, having pre-saved mod-set-batches, and then just editing them to add the preferred wad. Still not ideal but also plausible.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Also, when it does copy the template ini file to make the user version, it still deletes the comments added in the template anyway (lol), though the original file obviously keeps them.

I guess the only other option is just storing all my potential variables in a seperate txt file, and opening both when I make changes.

Now if only I was a programming wizard and could create some super fork combining the features of Rocket Launcher and Doom Launcher. XD

EDIT: Derp, thought I was editing, sorry about the double-post.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

eharper256 wrote:Also, when it does copy the template ini file to make the user version, it still deletes the comments added in the template anyway (lol), though the original file obviously keeps them.

That's because the template never gets copied, its contents from the internal data structures get written back out. And those internal contents (surprise!) do not contain any comments.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Also, when it does copy the template ini file to make the user version, it still deletes the comments added in the template anyway (lol), though the original file obviously keeps them.

That's because the template never gets copied, its contents from the internal data structures get written back out. And those internal contents (surprise!) do not contain any comments.
Figures. For now, I've created a seperate txt file with all the mod shortcuts to copy across when I need them. I guess that'll do. As a bonus of sorts, I can store comments about wads there as well I guess.

Return to “General”