Blender material setup

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
neoworm

Blender material setup

Post by neoworm »

I am toying with rendering base sprites from blender and thought it works surprisingly well. Then I added parts I want to be colorable and got a mess of antialised pixels - red areas on armor and around the belt:
I can clean it up by hand or even render it monochrome and recolor it later, but it just adds work that I think should be possible to do automatically.
My aim is to have a render that uses no texture filtering and no overall antialiasing.
I found how to make Cycles render do no filtering but not how to remove antialising. Blender render can skip antialiasing but will filter texture no matter what I try.

I there anybody who can help me with this?
Nash

Re: Blender material setup

Post by Nash »

Turning off mip map and interpolation, setting filter to Feline and 0.1 will help make things look crisper, but here's the thing -

With painted texture detail, you will never be able to get 100% clean pixels no matter how hard you try. The cleanest way is to make them actual geometry.

For example, making the strips actual, modeled geometry. That will produce the cleanest low res render.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Well, the cycles renderer can do absolutely crisp texture. But I can't disable antialiasing of the whole image.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

This is the result I got from Cinema4D just with AA Off, and only 1 light in scene
I could get cleaner sprites if I paint the polygons instead of using texture for the model .

Upscaled gif image:
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... -in-cycles

One of these answers might help. I don't use Cycles, sorry...
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I went through it and this is best I could do:
Even though there are very few pixels that are interpolated, they still show up even on the downscaled version and are still pain to remove...

I would be glad to just have it look like in the 3D view only with transparency and without all the gizmos.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

So you want to achieve something like this? (upscaled gif example)
No AA,No Mip,No Filters, Crisp pixels as in original model Texture

Original texture for comparison
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Yeah, but I don't have Cinema4D and also I want to play with it little more. For example I want perspective so it's more similar to stock HeXen sprites. Also I will have to modify the sword a little bit, the original is awful.

Return to “General”