Compiling GZDoom on MacOS (OpenAL)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Compiling GZDoom on MacOS (OpenAL)

Post by Xane123 »

As Travis-CI hasn't been deploying MacOS builds correctly for months, I felt today I needed to do the compiling myself so MacOS and Ubuntu users could get my game, fully up to date. (How does DRD Team's GZDoom get official MacOS builds daily, always? I'd like that myself.)

Anyways, I got the MacOS VM and updated it to the latest version, but when I viewed the wiki about compiling GZDoom on MacOS, something seemed wrong; It mentions FMod but that was removed and replaced with OpenAL in newer versions. Checking its history showed its last update was back in 2014!

I barely know what to do on non-Windows operating systems when it comes to this type of thing, so I rely on ZDoom's wiki for everything. On Windows and Linux's pages, it links to where to download OpenAL but where do I get MacOS' OpenAL so I know sound will work in my game? Someone has to update that wiki page as I bet more info than just the sound backend is wrong on that page.
_mental_

Re: Compiling GZDoom on MacOS (OpenAL)

Post by _mental_ »

Xane123 wrote:As Travis-CI hasn't been deploying MacOS builds correctly for months
Travis doesn't deploy anything and it never does this.
Xane123 wrote:How does DRD Team's GZDoom get official MacOS builds daily, always?
I build them from time to time, not every day but regularly.

Regarding OpenAL, the answer depends heavily on the reason to have own build.
BTW there are a few other libraries needed to make a fully functional executable.
Do you want to test your game on own Mac only? Do you want to distribute it?

For local build you can use Homebrew to install all dependencies.
OpenAL will require manual configuration because Apple's crippled framework is picked by default.

Standalone ready-to-distribute builds will require more efforts.
Everything needs to be compiled locally and explicitly configured in CMake.
There are lots of things to consider (digital signature, sandboxing, etc) depending on planed distribution channel.

I use shell scripts to automate devbuilds creation along with these pre-built libraries.
They won't work out of the box because all paths are hardcoded for my setup.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

_mental_ wrote:Travis doesn't deploy anything and it never does this.
Strange, many months (or years) ago, it was deploying to my repository's "gh-pages" branch as it supports deployment to there. However, for seemingly no reason, the "gzdoom.app" folder or whatever it was called stopped being included in builds from it despite me not changing the .travis.yml file.
_mental_ wrote:Do you want to test your game on own Mac only? Do you want to distribute it?
I'd like to distribute it so people don't have to go through the process of updating their Mac then installing XCode just to play my game.
_mental_ wrote:Everything needs to be compiled locally and explicitly configured in CMake.
There are lots of things to consider (digital signature[...]
Oh no, digital signature...I can avoid that on Windows (and all the player will see is that sneaky dialog where Microsoft hides the "run anyway" button from the user, but can it be done on Mac? I bet certificates are expensive for signing an app.
_mental_ wrote:I use shell scripts to automate devbuilds creation along with these pre-built libraries.
They won't work out of the box because all paths are hardcoded for my setup.
Oh, I see.

I think that wiki page still needs updates but I don't have enough knowledge to it.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I was talking about GZDoom master branch where Travis is not configured to deploy anything.
Executable files it builds isn’t suitable for this anyway.

Standalone builds require quite specific setup like my scripts and pre-built libraries.
Probably I’ll take a look at possibilities to make this more user friendly.
Xcode and CMake will be needed in any case.

To be able to digitally sign applications for macOS you need to have paid developer account, $100 per year AFAIK.
There are several methods to run unsigned apps in modern versions of macOS though.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

_mental_ wrote:I was talking about GZDoom master branch where Travis is not configured to deploy anything.
Executable files it builds isn’t suitable for this anyway.

Standalone builds require quite specific setup like my scripts and pre-built libraries.
Probably I’ll take a look at possibilities to make this more user friendly.
Xcode and CMake will be needed in any case.
Okay. That'd be nice so my MacOS builds would be as consistent and good as DRD Team's builds.
_mental_ wrote:To be able to digitally sign applications for macOS you need to have paid developer account, $100 per year AFAIK.
There are several methods to run unsigned apps in modern versions of macOS though.
That's insane. Good thing there are ways around that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What do you expect? This is Apple, after all. Being able to develop for them is supposed to be a privilege!

Good thing that the GPLv3 and iOS are mutually incompatble. :twisted:

Return to “General”