Brainstorming a GZDoom menu revamp

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Brainstorming a GZDoom menu revamp

Post by Pixel Eater »

Menu.xls.zip
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
I've compiled a spreadsheet of most menu items with parallel columns for organizing values into preset categories. The first is "Custom/Top level" and means the variable is user controlled at all times. The second two are GZDoom's default and Vanilla. They can contain only one value each. If this concept works then new preset columns can be added in the future.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Since not everybody necessarily has Excel installed, I've uploaded your spreadsheet to Google Sheets so everybody with a web browser can view it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Thanks WildWeasel, that saves a lot of fuss :)

Does anyone have recommendations for the table structure or want a first go at populating it before I hack into it?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Menu.pk3
(859 Bytes) Downloaded 34 times
screenshot.jpg
Here's an example of one direction it could go. It's just the root menu done in the only way I know how- as a sub menu within the existing options. The "More Bwah-Bwah >" links only go to the current GZDoom menus for now, but everything else works*.
*Edit: Except for Static Lighting- it only affects fake contrast when I intend for it to also control the fog settings.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Not sure if I've already said that but I am very happy that this is being considered and started. Releasing BoA as a standalone version showed us, that the options/menue might be intuitive for us who are already working with the engine for two decades but for someone who is totally new to GZDoom it's simply a pain.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I'd like to also Interact with the menu by acs\zscript, so I could control what specific menu should i show in titlemap\ingame or if the player should be able to enable it.

Something like I did here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljqtxNvdHo
so with that I could do a skippable intro, block the menu at certain parts and maybe on the future, show a different menu for ingame

still for spooky's house of jumpscare menu I removed 80% of the menu options, and also added other options like a fast show fps.
People doesnt need to know how many channels the engine will use for sound, only the game volume and where it's going to output the sound,...

EDIT: Uh I liked the Pixel Eater menu, one thing I'd add for the vídeo options is a fast way to select the screen that's going to show the game (in case the user has multiple screens)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

ibm5155 wrote:I'd like to also Interact with the menu by acs\zscript, so I could control what specific menu should i show in titlemap\ingame or if the player should be able to enable it.

Something like I did here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljqtxNvdHo
so with that I could do a skippable intro, block the menu at certain parts and maybe on the future, show a different menu for ingame

still for spooky's house of jumpscare menu I removed 80% of the menu options, and also added other options like a fast show fps.
People doesnt need to know how many channels the engine will use for sound, only the game volume and where it's going to output the sound,...
I'd just like to point out that this is A) completely out of scope for this discussion and B) probably not going to happen regardless because it's anti-player.

8-)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Caligari87 wrote: I'd just like to point out that this is A) completely out of scope for this discussion and B) probably not going to happen regardless because it's anti-player.

8-)
completely out of scope: nop.
B) Yeah, and this is why i love being able to make my own port and just ignore those strict rules of what your game/mod should do.

EDIT: Actually, I'd list the options that people use, there are alot of menu options that I never enter in Q\G\Zdoom (like the gameplay\compat options) and remove the ones that arent used for a start
Last edited by ibm5155 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ibm5155 wrote:completely out of scope: nop.
Not your call, unfortunately.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Pixel Eater wrote:
Menu.pk3
screenshot.jpg
Here's an example of one direction it could go. It's just the root menu done in the only way I know how- as a sub menu within the existing options. The "More Bwah-Bwah >" links only go to the current GZDoom menus for now, but everything else works*.
*Edit: Except for Static Lighting- it only affects fake contrast when I intend for it to also control the fog settings.
Too much clutter on the top level.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

a fast way to select the screen that's going to show the game (in case the user has multiple screens)
That sounds like a good idea, do you know the Cvar for it?
Too much clutter on the top level.
Working on it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Sorry but IMHO that's a bit messy, i still like Xaser's version.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Sorry but IMHO that's a bit messy, i still like Xaser's version.
I'm taking Graf's comments to heart and already have something "more mininal MINIMAL". I somehow missed Xaser's post- that's actually very similar to what I have in mind!

GFD had a lot of ideas too, I hope they weigh in some more 8-)

Edit: How's this?
Menu.png
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Pixel Eater wrote:Edit: How's this?
Menu.png
I'd rather have "Advanced..." at the bottom of each of those sections to keep the categories all in one place. Too easy to miss / too annoying to have to shift focus between two totally unrelated parts of the screen while working on a single thing.

Alternatively, if those main options were also present in the advanced menus then maybe a "Hide basic options, just use the advanced links" option might be an asset.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

That's sort of how I had it until Graf suggested it could be neater. I'm deep in the sub menus now that I've figured out how they work so I'll revisit the root menu when I'm done. Keep hitting me with ideas though!

Return to “General”