GZDoom for FreeBSD (x64)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

GZDoom for FreeBSD (x64)

Post by Rachael »

So as a bit of an experiment, and possibly for providing future FreeBSD support for GZDoom, I've gone ahead and compiled it for FreeBSD. It can be downloaded here:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0ia8bt (compiled with Clang 4.0.0)

It currently requires the following packages:
- fluidsynth
- sdl2
- openal-soft
(these can be installed using the 'pkg' command line utility)

The following are also required in order to build your own copy:
- git
- cmake
- cmake-gui (optional)

So what I need to make this official, mainly, is if someone has experience building FreeBSD packages, if there are any good guides or tutorials on how to do so, from scratch, that are fairly simple to follow. But otherwise, this should work as-is on any FreeBSD system as long as the right libraries are installed.

As always, I am eager for feedback on this. And yes, I know virtually no one uses FreeBSD - but that is actually not true because enough people do. Maybe with this move we can attract more such users.
_mental_

Re: GZDoom for FreeBSD (x64)

Post by _mental_ »

GZDoom requires libmpg123 and libsndfile libraries to play compressed audio. The latter may be pulled by fluidsynth. The first one should be installed manually if it's not included in the default setup.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

_mental_ wrote:GZDoom requires libmpg123 and libsndfile libraries to play compressed audio.
Make that to play any audio aside from the DMX format. Even WAV needs it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I will update that once I boot FreeBSD again and confirm the presence of said packages on my system. Thank you.

It may have been installed by default along with my choice desktop packages.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's been a while since I did anything with this.

I still haven't found a tutorial that is easy for me to follow for making FreeBSD packages. I did just today notice that someone does do FreeBSD builds in FreeBSD's official package repository, but that they haven't maintained it since 3.3.2. (Why?)

So I did a couple builds myself. I still don't know how to build a package. So I did a zip instead.

I did one for modern and one for legacy.

This is modern:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/2z56jc

This is legacy:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/q89kmo

When I learn how to do packages, I'll go ahead and download a copy of FreeBSD 32-bit and build those, as well. And then we can put these in the official distribution, instead of doing it unofficially like this.

Return to “General”