New to modding scene, should I begin with ZScript?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
affandede

New to modding scene, should I begin with ZScript?

Post by affandede »

Hello everyone. So, I am an aspiring Doom modder, I can make some basic weapons, add reloading and overheating function via A_GiveInventory etc. I am a noob yes, but with lesser o's. Recently I began learning decorate intensively but seeing that gzdoom solves its zscript issues build by build and things people do with Zscript, I am now thinking about starting from zscript, instead of good ole decorate. What do you think? Should I?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: New to modding scene, should I begin with ZScript?

Post by Hellser »

DECORATE and ZScript work together. If you feel you're ready to move onto a much more powerful system, then ZScript is your answer. Just be ready to learn a new (but familiar) system with ZScript.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Well, aside from a few syntax changes ( listed at the top of this page ) actor definitions in ZScript are basically exactly the same as DECORATE ones, so there's really no reason not to as anything you find about doing something in DECORATE converts directly into ZScript, as long as you make sure to place your semi-colons and don't forget to put actor properties in a Default {} block.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I really feel like the canonical answer to this question should just be "Yes" -- possibly with an optional clarifying "ZScript is effectively a superset of DECORATE" (with maybe less techy wording). Anything else is just muddying the waters for newcomers.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I think there is no need for decorate anymore, zscript can do everything decorate does and more.
Try using zscript even for more simple actors just to get into it.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

Though, it has a problem. ZScript is not compatible with Zandronoum (a multiplayer zdoom source port), if that is what I think.

Return to “General”