program for spriting

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
shadstarn

program for spriting

Post by shadstarn »

can you guys help me? i am using affinity photo editor and i think its not enough ... what programs do you guys use to make weapon sprites? please help me
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: program for spriting

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.NET...
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

i never got into gimp its so hard.... why couldt they make it more like photoshop... i use affinity photo.. i am not sure if i need to buy affinity designer
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

why don't you just get photoshop actually no I really don't want to encourage anyone to defile and slow down their computer with Adobe products right now

here https://www.pcsteps.com/1566-make-gimp- ... photoshop/
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Krita is pretty good according to people.
I use Photoshop CS6, myself. I recommend it over GIMP. No matter what you shove onto GIMP to make it look like Photoshop, it still won't be as good as Photoshop.
(Here's an example: Photoshop can do hue shifts, curves filters, gradient maps, etc. as adjustment layers, which don't permanently modify anything until you merge them onto another layer. GIMP, meanwhile, still doesn't have anything like this AFAIK)
Photoshop is also more stable and waaaaaaaaaay faster. On my computer GIMP would takes a LONG time to open (more than 10 minutes) while Photoshop opens pretty fast. (<5 minutes)
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by R4L »

AESprite is free and made especially for sprite work. I also recommend ArtGem, or if you're not afraid of using DOSBox, Deluxe Paint is great.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

MSPaint, IrfanView, Paint.NET
Nash

Post by Nash »

For 2D graphics work, I can't stand anything other than Photoshop, to be honest. Sure, it's not free but it's the most competent and feature-packed one.

Sprite workflow is 100% possible with Photoshop... there are pixel brushes, extreme zoom in and out, timeline editor for animation...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Since I have a feeling this is going to come up eventually: remember that no matter how good and powerful your graphics program of choice may be, it's not going to draw your graphics for you. If the results aren't turning out the way you want them, you can hardly blame the program - you just need to be willing to practice and ask for help with things. Remember, everybody that does great graphics today, started from nothing at some point in the past.

Return to “General”