Recompiling an old GZDoom with less features

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Recompiling an old GZDoom with less features

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 am

Graf Zahl wrote:In all seriousness, while this bug may theoretically be abused for nefarious purposes, I still think that under realistic conditions the worst case scenario is a "GZDoom has crashed" message, because with ACS's limitations it's just not possible to write a bogus BEHAVIOR that 'works' on more than one machine.

Hello. I want to make my verion of GZDoom. In this version I want to remove models support. Help me.
P.S.: I'm using GZDoom v2.4.0. And I want to remove models support from this version.
Last edited by EmperorGrieferus on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
EmperorGrieferus

Re: GZDoom 3.2.5 released

Postby _mental_ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:54 am

What's the point of having version that is lacking something?
Usually people want own versions that have some experimental or contradictory features.
Anyway, there is a Programmer's Corner on the wiki main page.
_mental_

Postby Gez » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 am

All you need to do is to find the part where it calls the MODELDEFS parser during initialization and comment it out.
Gez

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am

Gez wrote:All you need to do is to find the part where it calls the MODELDEFS parser during initialization and comment it out.

Is this in gzdoom.pk3?
EmperorGrieferus

Postby drfrag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 am

EmperorGrieferus wrote:In this version I want to remove models support.

But why don't you just stop using models?
Danfun64 wrote:Also, are there any plans for such forks like ZDoom-LE and ZDoom Classic to be patched for these major issues? It's probably not a good idea to recommend plain old Zdoom 2.8.1 and such anymore...

I ported the security fixes to ZDoom LE and ZDoom32, ACS stuff and execution of unsafe commands (this one could be even worse).
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 am

drfrag wrote:
EmperorGrieferus wrote:In this version I want to remove models support.

But why don't you just stop using models?
Danfun64 wrote:Also, are there any plans for such forks like ZDoom-LE and ZDoom Classic to be patched for these major issues? It's probably not a good idea to recommend plain old Zdoom 2.8.1 and such anymore...

I ported the security fixes to ZDoom LE and ZDoom32, ACS stuff and execution of unsafe commands (this one could be even worse).

I'm not using models. But I want to remove models support from GZDoom v2.4.0.
EmperorGrieferus

Postby Rachael » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

A news thread isn't the place to discuss that.
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Postby Gez » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm

EmperorGrieferus wrote:
Gez wrote:All you need to do is to find the part where it calls the MODELDEFS parser during initialization and comment it out.

Is this in gzdoom.pk3?

I'm going to be harsh, but if you ask this question, it means you have a lot to learn about programming before you can attempt even a very minor modification like the one you want.

But no, it's not in gzdoom.pk3; it's in the source code. Specifically, it's the call to gl_InitModels() at the end of R_InitSprites(). This line. Just comment out this simple line, compile GZDoom, and it won't have working support for models.

I don't know why you want that in the first place -- it seems to me it's probably simpler to just not load models if you don't like them -- but here you go, that's the extent of the help I'm willing to give you.
Gez

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 am

Gez wrote:
EmperorGrieferus wrote:

Is this in gzdoom.pk3?

I'm going to be harsh, but if you ask this question, it means you have a lot to learn about programming before you can attempt even a very minor modification like the one you want.

But no, it's not in gzdoom.pk3; it's in the source code. Specifically, it's the call to gl_InitModels() at the end of R_InitSprites(). This line. Just comment out this simple line, compile GZDoom, and it won't have working support for models.

I don't know why you want that in the first place -- it seems to me it's probably simpler to just not load models if you don't like them -- but here you go, that's the extent of the help I'm willing to give you.

Do i need to remove gl_InitModels()? I just don't quite understand what you mean by "comment".
EmperorGrieferus

Postby _mental_ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:42 am

EmperorGrieferus wrote:Do i need to remove gl_InitModels()? I just don't quite understand what you mean by "comment".
Gez wrote:... if you ask this question, it means you have a lot to learn about programming before you can attempt even a very minor modification like the one you want.

Sorry but everything was already told.
_mental_

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 am

_mental_ wrote:
EmperorGrieferus wrote:Do i need to remove gl_InitModels()? I just don't quite understand what you mean by "comment".
Gez wrote:... if you ask this question, it means you have a lot to learn about programming before you can attempt even a very minor modification like the one you want.

Sorry but everything was already told.

Another question. Why in default settings in "rocket trials" selected "Particles"?
EmperorGrieferus

Re: Recompiling an old GZDoom with less features

Postby Rachael » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 am

Look - GZDoom code comes with the freedom that you are free to modify it any way you choose.

However, that freedom does not mean that the developers or any of the team HAS to help you make modifications they don't agree with or don't make sense. For those, you are completely on your own. I think they went out of their way for you and if you're still having trouble you should ask elsewhere.

I think I was being exceptionally nice in splitting the topic instead of just keeping it locked so it could continue. Now it stays locked.
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Return to General