ZD20

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

ZD20

Post by Kinsie »

As pointed out by Calinou on the ZDF Discord: Yesterday apparently marked the 20th anniversary of ZDoom initial 1.11's release.

That's two straight decades of new features, bugs, new features precariously piled atop of bugs, forks, forks of forks, scripting languages, forks of scripting languages, regime changes, drama, laughter, chaos, and trying to figure out who the hell Lars is.

We never quite got that PAK file support or a seperate renderer DLL (or a better name), but I like to think this wishlist from the original release was pretty well accomplished. :P Many thanks to everyone who has kept this fantastic port alive and thriving for so long, and here's to many more years to come!
Gez

Re: ZD20

Post by Gez »

We [wiki=archive format]actually do have PAK support[/wiki], though I don't think anyone ever actually used it, since ZIPs are just more convenient in all respects.

Also we did get a better name, in that ZDoom eventually replaced zDoom. :wink:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Happy 20 years of ZDooming! Been here since ZDoom 1.22 and the Notgod phorum (2001), I'm so glad I stuck around because the engine features today are amazing. Thanks to all the developers for giving me an AMAZING toy to play with and maintaining it for all the 17 years I'm here!

(Holy crap, imagine having a kid and he/she's 17 today... that is a damn long time indeed o_O)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I just realized that archive.org has the notgod site and some chunks of the phorum: https://web.archive.org/web/20030419182 ... st.php?f=3

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What Nash said.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

That moment when I realize I've been around for nearly half of that. :shock:

I've certainly never stuck with a community this long. I hope we can go another 20, at least. :)
nazakomu

Post by nazakomu »

sometimes I genuinely wish I was born earlier just to have been a part of this community
feels like I might've missed out on some things, but looks like there's still a lot more to come
<3
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Wow, 1998.

I was 7 years old. IIRC, we had a Compaq with a huge CRT monitor (with a click wheel for the menu!) and that had Windows 98 on it. That's where I played The Ultimate Doom the first time, when one of my brother's friend's brought over the CD. Shortly after, I found the Doom shareware floppy in a thrift store and I pretty much installed that anywhere on any machine that had a floppy drive. Around 2002 I had gotten into adventure games and using AGS to make my own. I kind of wish I had known about zDoom before hand, because I had always played Doom in between those years and even after, having had it on GBA and other consoles.

Return to “General”