How much does vram speed matter at 1080p/4k?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

How much does vram speed matter at 1080p/4k?

Post by invictius »

Was going to change over the geforce 610 ddr3 I have in my test system but the best card I have also has dd3 only (radeon 7750). Should I just get the cheapest card I can find with gddr?

EDIT: Especially for maps like blade of agony. (on an i7-870)
Kotti

Re: How much does vram speed matter at 1080p/4k?

Post by Kotti »

You should check some actual benchmarks instead of looking for secondary features that mean absolutely nothing if the chipset itself is not fast enough.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Indeed. What's most important with a graphics card is the overall performance.
If you want to know what's 'better', look here: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net

The type of RAM is absolutely secondary here. I do not know what the 'cheapest card with gddr' is, but you can bet it's some piece of garbage that's not worth buying. Assuming this is for a current system, don't even think of anything below a Geforce 1050. It'd be like throwing away good money.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Graf Zahl wrote:Indeed. What's most important with a graphics card is the overall performance.
If you want to know what's 'better', look here: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net

The type of RAM is absolutely secondary here. I do not know what the 'cheapest card with gddr' is, but you can bet it's some piece of garbage that's not worth buying. Assuming this is for a current system, don't even think of anything below a Geforce 1050. It'd be like throwing away good money.
Well, it turns out that I'm in need of a new card anyway - that site gave a score of about 2500 for a geforce 1030, and 3500 for a radeon 550. In another thread, you said that gz isn't very demanding until you start getting into shaders and tonemapping - it's going in an i7 870, I have a more powerful system with a gtx 1070 in it, that I use for megawads that I want to play for some time. Basically I just want 60fps on ancient aliens map 15 at 1080p (geforce 610 gets 34) and the same on "the given" (the cacowards puzzle map) if that isn't too much to ask (it probably is though). So, which card to get? Again I won't be using either for anything other than gzdoom.

Additionally I tried that 7750 (as you said in another thread that anything amd with opengl4 no longer suffers from things like slow drawcalls) and it was able to get 3x the framerate of the ancient aliens map I mentioned, but actually half what the geforce 610 got on "the given" - what does that suggest?
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

Sadly, AMD drawcall performance is still an issue, you can easily verify that by activating 'stat rendertimes' in GZDoom. This should keep all retro gamers away from their hardware, no matter how good it is on paper.

For a new card, I concur with Graf that anything below a Geforce 1050 would be like throwing away money. That card is available for reasonable prices and runs circles around most older hardware that often costs just the same - or at the very best not sufficiently less to warrant the savings. The 2500 score for the 1030 is the same level what you could get for around $150 5 years ago.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Kotti wrote:Sadly, AMD drawcall performance is still an issue, you can easily verify that by activating 'stat rendertimes' in GZDoom. This should keep all retro gamers away from their hardware, no matter how good it is on paper.

For a new card, I concur with Graf that anything below a Geforce 1050 would be like throwing away money. That card is available for reasonable prices and runs circles around most older hardware that often costs just the same - or at the very best not sufficiently less to warrant the savings. The 2500 score for the 1030 is the same level what you could get for around $150 5 years ago.
I went from a 610 to a 710 and timedemos show an almost double performance. A 1050 would have cost 3-4x more. Keep in mind this is only a system for skimming over wads, if I want to play a wad right through I'll turn on my gaming system with a 1070.

Return to “General”