Maximum NVidia performance settings?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Maximum NVidia performance settings?

Post by Major Cooke »

I figured someone may have posted something like this before, but unfortunately I'm stuck in a place with terrible internet and websites take anywhere from 1-5 minutes to load. Trying to search for it right now is taking too much time.

Using the NVidia control panel, what would people say the most performance enhanced settings are?

Here's what I have for GZDoom:

Anisotropic filtering: Off
Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
Antialiasing - Mode: Off
CUDA - GPUs: All
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
OpenGL rendering GPU: Auto (I only have a GTX 960M since I'm on a laptop)
Optimize for Compute Performance: Off
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Shader cache: Off (I have a SSD, want to make sure it lasts as long as possible)
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample option: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: On
Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 4

Any suggested changes?
dpJudas

Re: Maximum NVidia performance settings?

Post by dpJudas »

If you want my advice, never touch any settings in the Nvidia control panel. Leave everything at defaults there. The reason being that modern games (which includes GZDoom) have their own settings that actually take into account how the engine works.

On the list you have there:

Anisotropic filtering: Graf selected a reasonable setting there - turning it off or on in the control panel can only fuck things up.
FXAA: already a setting in GZD, calibrated by _mental_ to be applied at the right stage in the pipeline. The control panel cannot know any of that.
Maximum pre-rendered frames
: this can only help you get mouse lag. Do not touch!
Shader cache: another good example - turning this off won't make any difference to your SSD - it will just make GZDoom boot slower..
Texture filtering
: the control panel cannot know which passes can handle which types of filtering. Do not touch stuff like this, you'll only break things.
Triple buffering: this can only help you get mouse lag. Do not touch!
Vertical sync: Already a setting inside GZDoom.
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: this can only help you get HMD lag. If you want to increase the chance of getting sick, please do change this!

In short: never ever make any changes in the Nvidia Control Panel unless you're toying with some ancient early 00's or late 90's exe. And even there I'd recommend against it unless you exhausted every other option.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

So basically just change the overall thing in "Adjust image settings in preview" to "Let the 3D application decide"?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I'd say yes. Only if you have a specific reason to change a setting, and you already checked it can't be specified from within the application, then I would use the control panel for it. See it as a last resort when everything else has failed.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

dpJudas wrote: In short: never ever make any changes in the Nvidia Control Panel unless you're toying with some ancient early 00's or late 90's exe. And even there I'd recommend against it unless you exhausted every other option.

The only settings I ever had to touch for old games were to force trilinear and anisotropic filtering (when the games only offers bilinear mipmapped) and to truncate the OpenGL extension string. Everything else should be kept as it is.

Return to “General”