Is GZDoom 3.2.5.0 heavier then older versions?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ravick

Is GZDoom 3.2.5.0 heavier then older versions?

Post by Ravick »

So, I do not follow releases logs or so. And I do not update vary often... But I've noted that some older maps that used to run well in GZDoom in my computer now get laggy. One example is that one I've recorded in 2016:
Spoiler:
It used to run so well I could even reccord it, but now it gets laggy in the very same computer. In some areas it gets almost "undoable".

You see, I'm not complaining, I just want to know why it has changed, so I can fix the map. Is it more dificult to the engine now to handle big open line-horizon'ed maps?
Also, what settings can I use to make things more soft?(Other than using lower res, of course - anyway, lowering my GZDoom's res havent helped that much either).

Thanks in advanced.
_mental_

Re: Is GZDoom 3.2.5.0 heavier then older versions?

Post by _mental_ »

It depends heavily on version of GZDoom to compare with. For example you could use 1.9.1 to record that video. This version has completely different OpenGL renderer and only this fact alone might explain the difference.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

For me it's been feeling heavier since version 2.0 or somewhere around there when it started getting a lot of new options and effects. I've sorta settled on 2.2.0 for now until I can get a better hardware/software setup. Yea yeah I know, old version cringe.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

That's quite possible because since 1.x there were lots of significant changes in OpenGL renderer. Legacy render path works slower usually.
Good example is outdated ATI/AMD hardware which works fine when OpenGL 2.0 is used and fails miserably with modern render path. There are visual bugs, driver crashes and performance issues.
Recent AMD hardware, both integrated and discrete, are OK. The same for Intel graphics produced in the last 2 or 3 years while performance is still so-so.
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

If I am not mistaken, the "heavier" things were added in 2.3.0, the main culprit being that the new versions will by default render to an offscreen framebuffer for postprocessing.

I have to wonder what hardware you are using to notice this in form of performance loss. I still got an old Geforce 650 and the difference is really minimal.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

One word, NVIDIA.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

My card is an AMD Radeon R9 270X. I've had this same card since December 2013 so yea, maybe it's too old now? Or just shitty drivers, since I can't even turn on bloom in 2.2.0 without stuttering.
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

That card should be good enough, its benchmark values are a lot better than my Geforce 650. If even bloom causes problems for you there must be a deeper issue. Even though AMD's drivers are known to be inferior, bloom is a pure hardware effect which on a faster card should not cause any performance loss. This almost sounds like your card is running only at a fraction of its real capabilities.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Since a month I have a new laptop, but even on my previous one - a 6 year old moderate Dell laptop with on board video card, GZDOOM performs very well. Had driver problems with that one, but once they were solved, the performance was okay.

Return to “General”