Most Advanced DOS Source Port?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Trusty McLegit

Most Advanced DOS Source Port?

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I know BOOM was a big thing on DOS, but what was (or is) the most technically advanced source port that can run on DOS?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Most Advanced DOS Source Port?

Post by leileilol »

Vavoom.

It's got colored dynamic lightmaps in a software renderer, supports models, (also supporting NORMALS on the models), Strife, and some (older) zdoom mods.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Wow, this is pretty advanced! I'll need to adjust dosbox to get it running just right, but this made me think, what is the most technically advanced game in general that can run in DOS? I know there were a number of fairly impressive tech demos, but I'm looking for the most advanced piece of software you can actually interact with and control that runs in DOS? Any Ideas?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Please define "the most technically advanced game" :) Tomb Raider? Quake? Blood? Carmageddon? Chasm: The Rift? Lots of them.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

If i'm not wrong you developed a reverse engineered version of Chasm...
I forgot about Vavoom. There's a new version of MBF (2.04 released @vogons, has Killough's approval), a more recent Eternity version by hail-to-the-rayzen also released @vogons (i never managed to run it on dosbox, he was the original creator of ZDoom LE BTW) and of course there was a DOS version of Doom Legacy.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

drfrag wrote:If i'm not wrong you developed a reverse engineered version of Chasm...
I gave up at the very beginning :( Doing this by hand is too long and boring process.
Automated tools for 16-bit protected mode DOS binaries are almost non existent.
Writing a decompiler for this long dead platform is completely out of my interest.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I thought Chasm was a 32-bit protected mode DOS program, curious.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

drfrag wrote:I thought Chasm was a 32-bit protected mode DOS program, curious.
Sadly it's not. That's because it was written in Borland Pascal with some inline assembly.
Curiously enough it uses fixed point arithmetic only, i.e. should run without FPU.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I used Borland C++ and Turbo C++ back in the day, i remember that 'carcinogenic code' with near and far pointers. Then i moved to DJGPP and Dev-C++ later but sadly many years without coding since then.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Engoo used to target DOS until it had a mysterious crash bug at some point. It should still compile with DJGPP at least...
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

_mental_ wrote:
drfrag wrote:If i'm not wrong you developed a reverse engineered version of Chasm...
I gave up at the very beginning :( Doing this by hand is too long and boring process.
Automated tools for 16-bit protected mode DOS binaries are almost non existent.
Writing a decompiler for this long dead platform is completely out of my interest.
Is that one you or is that somebody else then?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

No, this guy did much more than me. Glad that someone is working on reconstruction of this hidden gem.

Return to “General”