Old Controls or New Controls?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
lwks

Old Controls or New Controls?

Post by lwks »

So, am I a pleb for playing doom most of the time with WASD + Mouse? What do you guys think about it?
Do you create your maps with a specific kind of control in mind and do you think if someone plays the level with the other controls it will ruin the difficulty?
Reactor

Re: Old Controls or New Controls?

Post by Reactor »

For the classic DOS Doom, I use only the keyboard. There is no need for the mouse, as there is auto-aim. The more advanced versions - or other FPS games for that matter - are much better with mouse, however. I don't like WASD-controls, I never did. Arrows, and NumPad buttons are a trillion times better, since all the extra combat-necessary settings are clustered around the movement keys. PgDn is good for crouch, Home for reload, PgUp for jump, and + - keys for sniper scope.

Well, if you want some extra difficulty, you can even use a trackball for Doom, just be careful it will not turn into frustration :D
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Old Controls or New Controls?

Post by Matt »

I use a trackball just fine. A little frustrating lining up long-distance precision shots but that is generally not a problem in Doom, absent a railgun/instagib fight or something. One advantage is the ability to spin around arbitrarily fast even at a relatively low sensitivity, without having to stop to reposition the mouse.

And a mere player uses WASD, a gentleman uses ESDF

Return to “General”