Looking for Megawad Suggestions

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Twitchy2019

Looking for Megawad Suggestions

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Hi, I am here to ask about any good megawads that are descent to play. I would also like to place some details below. Of all the items listed below, number 2 is the most important.

1. Megawads can be from any time period. :D

2. I would preferably like to avoid any megawads that are primarily ambush slaughter-type maps as I am looking to play doom to enjoy myself, not throw my keyboard at the wall. I'd perfer more of a doom 2-style mapset without so many large-scale ambushes. (I am not familiar with current map trends or how doom map making has changed in general, so keep that in mind if you choose to comment.)

3. The megawads should be as free of modifications as possible (weapon changes, enemy changes, and so forth). I am looking to use several different weapon mods with these.

4. There should be some kind of quality attached to these megawads. (No megawads that were made by amateurs.)

5. Horror-themed megawads, or anything that is related to PSX or Doom 64 is on my wish list and I would love to check them out! :D
grouchbag

Re: Looking for Megawad Suggestions

Post by grouchbag »

You can always check the Caco Awards pages, Doomworld/idgames, maybe Moddb?Sorry for no links.Never could get the hang of it. :)
ReX

Post by ReX »

warman2012 wrote:Hi, I am here to ask about any good megawads that are descent to play.
Some classic megawads are:

Memento Mori
Memento Mori II
Icarus: Alien Vanguard
Eternal DooM

Eternal DooM consists of very large maps, many of which involve switch-hunting. Therefore, this map-set is not for everyone.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

A personal favourite of mine, Plutonia2. The maps look cool and the custom music is great.
It is pretty difficult, and has some unpredictable parts that can be considered "cheap". If you've ever played the original Plutonia, you'll know what to expect.
I suggest quicksaving when you feel unsure.

I also recommend Claustrophobia 1024. The maps are short, but intense.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

warman2012 wrote:Hi, I am here to ask about any good megawads that are descent to play
Y'know, off-topic, but I always wanted to see a Doom megawad with the gameplay flow of Descent, i.e. instead of just finding the exit, one must blow up a reactor or boss and then find the exit.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

That shouldn't be too hard to cough up.
ReX

Post by ReX »

wildweasel wrote:... I always wanted to see a Doom megawad with the gameplay flow of Descent, i.e. instead of just finding the exit, one must blow up a reactor or boss and then find the exit.
I would imagine that having such objectives for each of 32 maps, and having them not be repetitive, would be hugely challenging. Instead, the megawad can consist of, say, 4 hubs; the hubs could have such objectives.

Return to “General”