Only vertical autoaim?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Trusty McLegit

Only vertical autoaim?

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Is there a way to enable autoaim only on the vertical axis for playing without mouselook?
Hypersonic

Re: Only vertical autoaim?

Post by Hypersonic »

I thought it was already this way by default. I didn't even know there was any horizontal auto-aiming, save for maybe the side arrows of Heretic's crossbow
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I guess I don't know for sure, but if autoaim was only vertical why would it be a slider and not just an on/off switch?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The horizontal autoaim is not very configurable. It's only off if autoaim is off entirely. But even so, it just fires 3 traces and takes the first one that hits.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

What's the range of horizontal autoaim?

From what I can tell vertical autoaim is limited to +/- 35deg, within a 70deg vertical FOV.
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... .cpp#L4266
P_AimLineAttack

I can't stand anykind of autoaim myself, I want full pitch and yaw control for aiming. I can't believe Quake 1 still had autoaim as Quake 1 allowed full yaw/pitch control.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Hypersonic wrote:I can't believe Quake 1 still had autoaim as Quake 1 allowed full yaw/pitch control.
During a time before mouselook was common and it wasn't unlikely for a person to not use a mouse entirely, instead restricting them to the far less precise keylook.

It's really not all that unbelievable.

Return to “General”