local multiplayer

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
ubza_1234

local multiplayer

Post by ubza_1234 »

hi there! this is my first post here so be gentle lol

i'm looking for multiplayer on the same computer. after discovering how most people are quite against split screen, i was wondering if i could load the game up twice on the same machine, and have one game on one screen and the other came on my other monitor. then, some how link the two games to one another? ofline local multiplayer? lol i have a feeling i already know the answer, but if it is silly, feel free to let me know :)

cheers guys
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: local multiplayer

Post by wildweasel »

The problem isn't connecting them, but it's currently impossible to control more than one instance of GZDoom at a time, since it has no mechanism to read input if it's inactive.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

People are against splitscreen? Where did this occur?

My splitscreen experiments earlier this year actually got lots of positive feedback, but it was infeasible to continue it because some mechanics of the game engine were unworkable at the time. (In fact, the ZScripted status bars were partly done because of it being revealed through that little project that the status bar states were actually stored in with the definition structures and not instantiated with the status bars, themselves!)

I would do it again but I have *WAY* too much going on right now.
ubza_1234

Post by ubza_1234 »

Rachael wrote:My splitscreen experiments earlier this year actually got lots of positive feedback, but it was infeasible to continue it because some mechanics of the game engine were unworkable at the time. (In fact, the ZScripted status bars were partly done because of it being revealed through that little project that the status bar states were actually stored in with the definition structures and not instantiated with the status bars, themselves!).
i know i know i know!!! i have aparty at my place coming up and instread of having one must fall up on the big screen i thought doom would be cool!!! lolol i apreciate that there are guys like you working on things like this, even if they dont work out. i really do. thank you.
wildweasel wrote:The problem isn't connecting them, but it's currently impossible to control more than one instance of GZDoom at a time, since it has no mechanism to read input if it's inactive.
thanks for explaining that. it makes alot of sense.

apparently there are other ports that can run in split screen. but zdoom was the only one i could get running in linux, which is whats native atm. it's most likely due to my lack of knowledge though, why i cant get them running lol
ubza_1234

Post by ubza_1234 »

Rachael wrote:People are against splitscreen? Where did this occur?
sorry, i mis read that. it's just i've been hauling through posts from various forums and lots of people seemed sick of all the people asking for split screen lol probably because it's no easy feat and also because its usually coming from people like me who dont know how to code doom beyond a few retextures, maps and dehacked things. i was looking for an easy split screen for linux, in particular running brutal doom. but yeah. seems like its not a done thing yet.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There was one person who (apparently?) successfully did it, and even showed a video demo of it. I later did it as well, getting just about as far as he did and even getting the ability to swap the players (not yet simultaneously control them).

Don't be fooled by developers saying something "will never happen" - only ever believe that when it comes from a deep-rooted philosophical view (i.e. someone requesting that hitscans and damage calculations occur based on sprite data - which goes against everything Doom stands for on a very core and fundamental level). In any other case, it means that it will not happen if no one puts forth the effort to make it a reality - as is often the case in the Doom community (unfortunately, it's way too small to allow for sufficient enough innovation for the things we all want).

As for my particular case, I take on way too many things at once (usually because I actually want to do them but underestimate the effort required for them, when I have other things I need to do as well). I'm working on that. :)
ubza_1234

Post by ubza_1234 »

i wish i had the time and knowledge to help in some way. thanks for your input none the less! i really appreciate it.

Return to “General”