Screen wipe and hubs

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
hfc2x

Screen wipe and hubs

Post by hfc2x »

It's been a while since I tried doing something about this (and being honest, I may or may not be working on an actual revamped version for a code submission) but since this has nothing to do with coding, and I'm simply mostly curious: why doesn't GZDoom support this normally? I know vanilla HeXen doesn't normally have them, presumably not to disturb the TELEICON graphic from displaying properly.

But this makes me wonder: vanilla Strife normally does use wipers (crossfade) despite the whole game working as a hub, yet GZDoom completely ignores that. What's the reason for forcing hubs to skip the screen-wipe effect? Why, if Strife uses them, it's not actually enabled, at least for that game?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Screen wipe and hubs

Post by Rachael »

I think the biggest reason might be what screen wipes are used for. More often than not they're used to connect distinct levels together and make a seamless transition (similar to the original Half-Life). In fact, I would even dare to say that Strife is the odd one out in this case.

Nevertheless, being faithful to the original is important in some cases, glitches and all, and is probably worthy of a feature suggestion.

Return to “General”