Selling a game made with GZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Selling a game made with GZDoom?

Post by Rachael »

I am loving it, Nash. :) The dog I think was meant to be a German Shepherd, but since we're mostly not really opting for a Wolfenstein dog, anyway, it's pretty much okay to make it any breed.
Graf Zahl wrote:The new icon should not contain the GPL letters. Just the blue symbol would be ok. And a lot of the added stuff needs cleanup. Some of the files are insanely huge.
I didn't really notice the file size difference, but agreed.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

If it helps, Enjay & ZZYZX made some 16x16 versions of the icons here, and there are some slightly-higher-res (not quite 512x512) Torm icons here -- those scale down nicely to 32x32, so that should cover most of the bases.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

@Xaser: Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't know how to pack multiple images into a single .ico file for Windows, nor can I make .icns files anyway for Macs, and pretty sure this isn't going to change much doing .xpm for Linux, either - so I will have to depend on someone else to help me with all those. :P

@Graf: I am going to close the pull request since you've noticed this by now - I am going to leave the topic and branch itself open for submissions and improvements, though. I am quite uncomfortable with each CI system running twice just because it's on the GZDoom repository and made a pull request to the GZDoom repository, particularly on commits that contain no code changes. I am sure by now you've seen it's in a branch - feel free to update the branch if you want to, and I'll pull your changes downstream if I ever need to update it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I am quite uncomfortable with each CI system running twice just because it's on the GZDoom repository
Don't bother. If those systems get stressed by that they shouldn't offer the service they provide in the first place. And as long as they do they'll have to deal with pointless compiles, there's no way around it.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Rachael wrote:Unfortunately I don't know how to pack multiple images into a single .ico file for Windows,
Visual Studio can do this for sure, GIMP can too IIRC.
Rachael wrote:... nor can I make .icns files anyway for Macs
I'll do it, just give me images with sizes of 16, 32, 48, 128, 256 and 512 pixels . But 16 and 48 can be dropped I think.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Rachael wrote:Unfortunately I don't know how to pack multiple images into a single .ico file for Windows, nor can I make .icns files anyway for Macs, and pretty sure this isn't going to change much doing .xpm for Linux, either - so I will have to depend on someone else to help me with all those. :P
Here you go. Covers 256, 48, 32, 24 and 16 sizes for 32-bit, 8-bit and even 4-bit versions (which could be improved, they're pretty lazy conversions... but who the fuck's gonna see those?)

Many thanks to Torm, Enjay and ZZYZX for the source images. I just copy-pasted them into a Photoshop document and ran a shareware copy of a plugin that hasn't been sold in years over it. :P
Attachments
gzdoom_ico.zip
(102.87 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you again, Kinsie. :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

New devbuilds:

- gzdoom_optional_assets.pk3 renamed to zd_extra.pk3
- shrunk the size of the sounds folder by converting flac to ogg
- zd_extra.pk3 now loads before the IWAD
- added icon and some sounds compiled and submitted by Kinsie

64-bit: https://mega.nz/#!1U8CVC6J!4sGPxzr6uUlw ... Yvdnk0sh6k
32-bit: https://mega.nz/#!dR9wxShb!NqpIK6-WP7Ye ... QmuHDP5NHo
Debug (map/pdb) files for crashes: https://mega.nz/#!4JMzyTpB!T8L-ZbCLsVS3 ... VHEoPeBWZQ
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So, after some consideration, I've finally decided to merge this.

First and foremost - zd_extra.pk3 is built along with the executable, and when it is included (which, hopefully, the devbuilds will pick up on) no one will even notice a difference with the new GPL assets because they will be invisible until the file is removed.

Secondly - I can't maintain two branches at once, especially when they are fundamentally different right down to the CMake level - even switching between master and this causes a great portion of the project to be rebuilt. This forces me to have multiple repositories and I constantly have to cherry-pick my own work to the master branch. Keeping two separate branches like this has been causing me undue headaches for my work-load.

Thirdly - I was hoping to have Nash's GPL dog before I did this. Unfortunately, that was not possible, and it really doesn't matter why, but I guess mostly I just wanted the GPL-ized version of GZDoom.pk3 to be somewhat more "complete" than it is now. But when it comes down to the overall intent of it, and with the existence of zd_extra.pk3, you really aren't going to see the missing assets in an actual commercial game. At the very least - you shouldn't, if it is done right. Basically what it comes down to is - the GPL assets will receive so little exposure, that I really was beginning to wonder why I was fretting over their lack of completeness. So it didn't matter that I didn't have it - and more importantly, it gives Nash a LOT more time and a LOT less pressure to do it. :) I still plan to remove the Wolfenstein-derived doggy when he is done, though. :)

So that's that. Tomorrow's devbuilds will reflect these changes, sport the new GZDoom icon, and just because of this merge does not mean I consider the GPL assets final. Submissions are still welcome, and I am pretty sure things can only get better from here. :)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I'm not sure that changing loading order was a good idea. At least IWAD_FILENUM must be converted to a runtime evaluated expression.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well - that's one thing that escaped my notice. I am working on a fix.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Xane123 »

Not sure if I can just randomly ask in someone else's thread, but even if I won't be able to do it for years, selling the TC I'm working on is a thought I have sometimes, so I figured this'd be a good topic to ask in; I have questions:

• As I'm updating my game's GZDoom version to a new one, I recall a resizing filter called xBRZ or something was added under the condition that it isn't sold or something. Is that still here?
• Also, QZDoom is known for its different software renderer, but GZDoom usually has the software renderer but that wouldn't be GPL-friendly, so I'm wondering if it was removed. (Plus, other problems like FMod/OPL were solved so I don't have to look at GZDoom-GPL for instructions on how to get them out?)

Again, sorry to just come out of nowhere instead of starting my own topic but "selling a game with GZDoom" is something I think about.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

xBRZ has the same license as GZDoom since 3.0 so it's still there and the game can used for commercial purposes.
QZDoom and GZDoom have the same renderers at the moment.
FMOD Ex was removed indeed and only OpenAL sound backend is available. FluidSynth with included soundfont is used for MIDI playback.

Games based on GZDoom 3.x can be sold as long as no copyrighted materials are shipped with it.
All these stuff have been moved to own .pk3 recently making their exclusion a trivial task.
Atik

Post by Atik »

Considering the fact it's from Wolfenstien, I always assumed the Dog was some mix of German Shepard. It's the most fitting breed to be used by Nazis, and instantly recognizable as a "combat dog".

They're also, you know, absolutely adorable.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

• Also, QZDoom is known for its different software renderer, but GZDoom usually has the software renderer but that wouldn't be GPL-friendly, so I'm wondering if it was removed. (Plus, other problems like FMod/OPL were solved so I don't have to look at GZDoom-GPL for instructions on how to get them out?)
GZDoom merged in QZDoom completely a few months back - this is no longer an issue. GZDoom is completely 100% GPL friendly, in the codebase now, software renderer and all.

Also - the voxel rendering code was relicensed courtesy of Ken Silverman for this project.

GZDoom is what QZDoom was at one time, and more, we continued our development on GZDoom proper in order to keep development under one roof and not have a number of different GZDoom clones that all did the same thing.

Return to “General”