Selling a game made with GZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

Re: Selling a game made with GZDoom?

Post by Nash »

EDIT: courtesy quote
Rachael wrote:
• Also, QZDoom is known for its different software renderer, but GZDoom usually has the software renderer but that wouldn't be GPL-friendly, so I'm wondering if it was removed. (Plus, other problems like FMod/OPL were solved so I don't have to look at GZDoom-GPL for instructions on how to get them out?)
GZDoom merged in QZDoom completely a few months back - this is no longer an issue. GZDoom is completely 100% GPL friendly, in the codebase now, software renderer and all.

Also - the voxel rendering code was relicensed courtesy of Ken Silverman for this project.

GZDoom is what QZDoom was at one time, and more, we continued our development on GZDoom proper in order to keep development under one roof and not have a number of different GZDoom clones that all did the same thing.
Atik wrote:Considering the fact it's from Wolfenstien, I always assumed the Dog was some mix of German Shepard. It's the most fitting breed to be used by Nazis, and instantly recognizable as a "combat dog".

They're also, you know, absolutely adorable.
I've remodeled it from scratch to be more German Shepherd-like viewtopic.php?p=1017347#p1017347
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Xane123 »

@_mental_: Ah, phew, good...I'll have to see how good the resizing looks with them. Also, that's a relief about the renderers; I liked QZDoom's renderer but not its real-time compiling every time I'd start it up which would make testing changes tedious. Good thing I'm making my own game.

@Rachael: That's good. The new versions now aren't the broken messes they were when I last tried them many versions ago, now pretty stable! The developers are doing a good job.

Interesting. I thought Ken was known to do things strangely, but he relicensed his code to let voxel models be rendered the same way in the software renderer? That's nice of him!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

He only did that for the voxel rendering code, though.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

I would say that's good he at least did that, but it'll confuse me why he wouldn't just relicense the whole Build engine when I don't think any company nowadays would want to license that old engine.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

He doesn't like GPL, but I can't find the source where he states that publicly. (It was up somewhere at one time, though, I do know that much)

However, he did have this to say:
Ken wrote:Why did you write a custom license instead of using GPL (GNU's General Public License)?

Short answer: to satisfy my ego :) Long answer: I know GPL is an industry standard, but I felt that it was way too long and boring for anyone to read seriously. I chose to write a nice short license that everybody could understand. This way, people unfamiliar with GPL would understand their rights.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

Seems he doesn't know his license, since it isn't the GPL specifically, it isn't compatible with the GPL. (Plus, all licenses are very long.)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think you underestimate him a lot.

I don't always agree with his view and how he does things, but he's very much on top of things like this and you can be sure he's got the idiosyncrasies figured out. In fact, if anything, he probably cares a lot more about it than the rest of us do. But he does have a point - having things that are too long and wordy just confuses people.

I won't publicly state what his complaints about GPL were, to me, if he wants to make his feelings about it public he can do that, himself. But I will say he does have a perfectly valid point about it - and I can perfectly see why he may have been hesitant to release his voxel rendering code as thus.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Ken Silverman only relicensed the voxel code because we asked him politely and he figured it wouldn't matter too much if that small amount of code was made GPL as well.

However, that does not mean he would have been OK with relicensing the Build engine. I can personally very much understand his position, as I myself would never license something under GPL, unless the codebase was already so. I don't know Ken's motivations, but for me the political connection to the GNU organization is enough for me not want them to be able to pretend they represent me in any way whatsoever. He did us a really big favor for putting his personal reasons aside and let us use the voxel code anyway. Ken deserves a lot of thanks for that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

dpJudas wrote:as I myself would never license something under GPL, unless the codebase was already so.
Same here. LGPL is something I'd consider ok, depending on the code's intended purpose, but if you search a bit you'll find repeated posts by me complaining about the 'vampire clause' as I prefer to name it (i.e. the requirement that all code that comes in touch with GPLed code needs to obey each and every provision of the GPL, too. This was what forced us to jump through some hoops to rid GZDoom of the incompatible parts.

At my current workplace there's a strict 'no GNU' policy, i.e. all code under GPL and LGPL is strictly off limits - even for making tools!
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I don't mind the LGPL too much in principle, but I'm annoyed by the fact the GNU foundation chose to explicitly rename it from "library" to "lesser" to make a political statement. Likewise, GPLv3 was also mostly about a political statement against patents. While I happen to agree with them on patents, it doesn't change the fact that I think such BS forces me to apply a 'no GNU' policy at work as well. I'm very much in favor of simple Open Source licenses that doesn't require me to hire a lawyer or bump the usage of a library to management level.

My favorite license is probably the Sqlite one, which replaced the copyright with a blessing:
May you do good and not evil
May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others
May you share freely, never taking more than you give.
It nicely sums up what I think people should do if they used my code. Even if its not the actual license I normally use. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

dpJudas wrote: the GNU foundation chose to explicitly rename it from "library" to "lesser" to make a political statement.

I always considered 'lesser' to mean 'less restrictive', i.e. better! :mrgreen:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

If it's a TC, not just a mod, the engine itself is free, and literally everything has been changed (except Doom-related Easter Egg-stuff), I think it's good to go.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Sorry for the bump and thanks for the info provided in this thread. I'm about to leave my job and most likely about to focus on my project.
Something bothers me though. Gzdoom is now a free engine for commercial games. Is there a chance for bad scenario where it becomes nonfree or something like that occurs in the future?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As long as you continue using the GPL version, no. If GZDoom ever goes non-GPL (which I am not 100% can even happen at this point), then you would simply use the final GPL version before the license change.
PSXRevizorRussian

Post by PSXRevizorRussian »

Where to download these sprites? I can use them in project Psx Doom Forever HD ?

Return to “General”