Closest Doom Port to Xbox?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
taylorm7cl

Re: Closest Doom Port to Xbox?

Post by taylorm7cl »

So in other words, it's impossible to switch the fade of screen flashes to cuts?

GZDoom is my favorite port due to having so many options to customize. It has the overall closest GUS emulation, Crispy/Chocolate Doom does have correct instruments, but it sounds like some instruments are played off key and it also ignores dynamics in the song. The song, between levels, is a perfect example of how it ignore dynamics especially with drums. Either way, I just wish both native GUS emulation and Timidity didn't have the issues they have and I understand it isn't something to do with GZDoom itself as far as Timidity++ goes. I can live with the screen and text fade, that's a matter of preference. Just as long as Microsoft GS Wavetable isn't playing my music and I have pitch-shifted sounds, I'm fine.

As far as native GUS emulation in GZDoom, I understand it uses a version of Timidity in the program rather than an external version, but do you have any idea what causes instruments to not last for their notes' durations? I'm not talking reverb here though it may sound like I am referring to it in the video.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Also another thing I forgot to mention, how can I move center text to the top left hand corner like item pick ups? I would like for the "you need this key to open this door" to be up there rather than the center.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

There should be an option in Options -> Hud Options -> Message Options called "Center Message", you can turn that off to have it on the top left.
taylorm7cl

Post by taylorm7cl »

Hellser wrote:There should be an option in Options -> Hud Options -> Message Options called "Center Message", you can turn that off to have it on the top left.
Not exactly. What that does is it centers every message. Item pickup to obituaries. It doesn't turn off the keycard notifications from being in the center.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

I have a question about screen flashing, since it already toned down long times ago due most people found it was annoying and hurts eyes(vanilla do go full bright red in first 1-2 seconds if player got damaged then starts go fade) and now we have sliders for toned those screen flashes down even more(display option > xxxxx flash intensity), it made me wonder if there is a way(via CVARs/CCMDs/scripting or something) to restore/emulate the vanilla style screen flashing(without any of toned down)?

Return to “General”