Can we get a summary of what all the opengl options do?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

Can we get a summary of what all the opengl options do?

Post by invictius »

Such as tonemap, lens distortion, all the ones added in gz 3.x (the ones prior to this are pretty self-explanatory to any half-serious gamer) and perhaps screenshots showing their effects, the way performance guides show the usefulness of settings in new games?
dpJudas

Re: Can we get a summary of what all the opengl options do?

Post by dpJudas »

Sorry, no screenshots. But here's the list:
  • Menu blur. Controls how much the background is blured when the menu is shown.
  • Multisample. Anti-aliasing using multiple samples per pixel.
  • Tonemap. Changes the color of pixels using various tonemapping techniques. Palette one tries to emulate a palette look by reducing the final colors to the original game palette.
  • Bloom effect. Blurs bright colors to give an illusion of being blinded by strong light.
  • Lens distortion. Emulates the lens distortions that physical cameras produce. Bends the edges of the screen and splits red, green and blue.
  • Ambient occlusion. Shadows the corners and such. Ambient occlusion are shadows that you will see on any object that is uniformly lit from all directions.
  • Portals with AO. How many portals it should apply AO to. The AO pass is expensive, so this is a speed vs quality tradeoff.
  • FXAA. A cheaper form of anti-aliasing for computers where multisampling is too expensive.
  • Tonemap palette exponent and palette order. Ask Rachael about those - they change the look of the palette tonemap mode.
  • Light shadowmaps. Casts shadows from one-sided lines for the dynamic lights.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Can we get a summary of what all the opengl options do?

Post by Rachael »

Tonemap palette exponent and palette order. Ask Rachael about those - they change the look of the palette tonemap mode.
These were things I would've preferred to keep out of the menu because they are extremely advanced options and not meant for the layman, but I was asked to put them in after implementing this feature. They directly affect the math of the color matching algorithm that the palette tonemap uses by modifying the exponent used to pair each RGB666 color combination with a matching PLAYPAL entry. At this point I kind of consider the feature deprecated - with the ability to swap the sampling order, I've been able to make the palette tonemap look a lot like original Doom even with the standard 2.0.

Return to “General”