Feature request - double resolution scale

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

invictius

Feature request - double resolution scale

Post by invictius »

Not sure where the topic is where I requested a 0.75 resolution scale. Just bought a 4k video card for my doom box, but even on a 50" tv anything over 1080p is pretty hard to see, even a metre away. Is it possible to have 4k resolution in a 1080p window/full screen? As changing between 1080 and 4k upsets windows on both my main and second screen. If not possible, I'd like to see a 0.25 scale... just because we have 0.5 and 0.75.
dpJudas

Re: Feature request - double resolution scale

Post by dpJudas »

I'm sorry, but I don't really see the point here. The 0.5 scale is specifically made for allowing 4K monitors to run at 1080p. Further down scaling a 4K monitor is just making a mockery out of the monitor because the computer itself doesn't remotely match the age of the monitor/TV.

The current implementation wasn't made for endless arbitrary scales like this. If 0.25 is to be supported, why not 0.30 or 0.20 next? If someone feels like completely refactoring what I did and implement some menu slider this might be possible, but I'm not personally signing up for this task. One of the reasons I didn't allow arbitrary scales in the first place is because whenever I've seen another game do scales like this it looked absolutely horrible.

Also keep in mind that when I added 0.75 scale for you, it was exactly because you didn't like a 0.5 scale for 1080p monitors. A 0.25 scale for 4K will look identical to what you didn't find acceptable at 1080p.
invictius

Post by invictius »

dpJudas wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't really see the point here. The 0.5 scale is specifically made for allowing 4K monitors to run at 1080p. Further down scaling a 4K monitor is just making a mockery out of the monitor because the computer itself doesn't remotely match the age of the monitor/TV.

The current implementation wasn't made for endless arbitrary scales like this. If 0.25 is to be supported, why not 0.30 or 0.20 next? If someone feels like completely refactoring what I did and implement some menu slider this might be possible, but I'm not personally signing up for this task. One of the reasons I didn't allow arbitrary scales in the first place is because whenever I've seen another game do scales like this it looked absolutely horrible.

Also keep in mind that when I added 0.75 scale for you, it was exactly because you didn't like a 0.5 scale for 1080p monitors. A 0.25 scale for 4K will look identical to what you didn't find acceptable at 1080p.
I just thought it would be useful to have something at 25% intervals, not just for me but someone running into a similar problem.

But regarding the 2x scaling, I wanted to be able to run at 4k without the monitor switching to that resolution and screwing up the positioning of windows. Surely most people don't run a 4k desktop? If I can barely make out a 50" at one metre than I hate to think how people go sitting 30cm away from a 24 inch, or whatever the common resolution is for them.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

invictius wrote:But regarding the 2x scaling, I wanted to be able to run at 4k without the monitor switching to that resolution and screwing up the positioning of windows. Surely most people don't run a 4k desktop? If I can barely make out a 50" at one metre than I hate to think how people go sitting 30cm away from a 24 inch, or whatever the common resolution is for them.
As someone that does own a 24" 4K monitor, yes, I can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p quite easily. If you couldn't tell the difference at 50" one meter away, then either the source material wasn't remotely 4K or you need glasses. Doom's graphics in general isn't a very good test for this as the textures are a really low resolution, if that was what you were testing with.

In any case, I don't understand what you mean by 2x scaling. The 0.5x scale is what you want if you want to stay at 4K resolution but use a 1080p quality image. That you want to use a 960x540 resolution (0.25x scale) on a 4K monitor makes no sense to me.
invictius

Post by invictius »

dpJudas wrote:
invictius wrote:But regarding the 2x scaling, I wanted to be able to run at 4k without the monitor switching to that resolution and screwing up the positioning of windows. Surely most people don't run a 4k desktop? If I can barely make out a 50" at one metre than I hate to think how people go sitting 30cm away from a 24 inch, or whatever the common resolution is for them.
As someone that does own a 24" 4K monitor, yes, I can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p quite easily. If you couldn't tell the difference at 50" one meter away, then either the source material wasn't remotely 4K or you need glasses. Doom's graphics in general isn't a very good test for this as the textures are a really low resolution, if that was what you were testing with.

In any case, I don't understand what you mean by 2x scaling. The 0.5x scale is what you want if you want to stay at 4K resolution but use a 1080p quality image. That you want to use a 960x540 resolution (0.25x scale) on a 4K monitor makes no sense to me.
What I mean is that it must he hard for people to be able to read the display at 4k, at that size. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, I just can't use the desktop at 4k because the writing is so small.

By 2x I mean: full screen thinks it's 1080p, but the actual resolution you're seeing is 4k. If I launch gzdoom at 4k when my desktop is set to 1080p, chrome and other apps get thrown onto the other display, or worse still, they completely disappear from both displays, and you have to set the desktop to 4k, drag them back over, then go back to 1080.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

invictius wrote:What I mean is that it must he hard for people to be able to read the display at 4k, at that size. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, I just can't use the desktop at 4k because the writing is so small.
That is because the UI scale factor for your desktop is configured incorrectly. For a 24" 4K monitor the scale should be set to 200%. For a 27" 4K monitor it should be set to 150%. You need a 40" 4K monitor before the scale should be 100%.

If the OS and applications are all working correctly, then a 24" 4K monitor will have exactly the same physical font sizes and look as a 24" 1080p monitor. The only difference will be that the fonts and images are more crisp. Unfortunately, the only OS that does this correctly is macOS. Windows 10 gets it mostly right nowadays, with still some programs not doing it right. Windows 7 and earlier does a piss poor job at it, messing things up in various ways. Linux is more or less at the "Windows 7" stage at this point.
invictius wrote:By 2x I mean: full screen thinks it's 1080p, but the actual resolution you're seeing is 4k. If I launch gzdoom at 4k when my desktop is set to 1080p, chrome and other apps get thrown onto the other display, or worse still, they completely disappear from both displays, and you have to set the desktop to 4k, drag them back over, then go back to 1080.
What you are requesting here cannot be technically done. GZDoom's final output will always be at the resolution Windows is using. If that resolution is 1920x1080 then what you see will be with that many pixels. There is a 2x scale mode that does supersampling, which means it renders at twice the resolution and then down scales the result, but that unfortunately still will not get you 4K output.
invictius

Post by invictius »

dpJudas wrote:
invictius wrote:What I mean is that it must he hard for people to be able to read the display at 4k, at that size. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, I just can't use the desktop at 4k because the writing is so small.
That is because the UI scale factor for your desktop is configured incorrectly. For a 24" 4K monitor the scale should be set to 200%. For a 27" 4K monitor it should be set to 150%. You need a 40" 4K monitor before the scale should be 100%.

If the OS and applications are all working correctly, then a 24" 4K monitor will have exactly the same physical font sizes and look as a 24" 1080p monitor. The only difference will be that the fonts and images are more crisp. Unfortunately, the only OS that does this correctly is macOS. Windows 10 gets it mostly right nowadays, with still some programs not doing it right. Windows 7 and earlier does a piss poor job at it, messing things up in various ways. Linux is more or less at the "Windows 7" stage at this point.
invictius wrote:By 2x I mean: full screen thinks it's 1080p, but the actual resolution you're seeing is 4k. If I launch gzdoom at 4k when my desktop is set to 1080p, chrome and other apps get thrown onto the other display, or worse still, they completely disappear from both displays, and you have to set the desktop to 4k, drag them back over, then go back to 1080.
What you are requesting here cannot be technically done. GZDoom's final output will always be at the resolution Windows is using. If that resolution is 1920x1080 then what you see will be with that many pixels. There is a 2x scale mode that does supersampling, which means it renders at twice the resolution and then down scales the result, but that unfortunately still will not get you 4K output.
Would windowed borderless be possible, like what's implemented in many games?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

invictius wrote:Would windowed borderless be possible, like what's implemented in many games?
With a pull request anything is possible. ;)

I'm not going to try add it because the code saving and restoring the window geometry is very messy. It took me a year of maximizing the window manually (each time I launched GZDoom) before I fixed the maximized window state. Guess how long it will take me to then add a feature in this area I don't even use myself. :D
invictius

Post by invictius »

dpJudas wrote:
invictius wrote:Would windowed borderless be possible, like what's implemented in many games?
With a pull request anything is possible. ;)

I'm not going to try add it because the code saving and restoring the window geometry is very messy. It took me a year of maximizing the window manually (each time I launched GZDoom) before I fixed the maximized window state. Guess how long it will take me to then add a feature in this area I don't even use myself. :D
Someone mentioned a program to retain the windows 7 UI on 10, so its' scaling would solve all this but just running 10 in a vm, it's more bloated with things that need disabling than banzai buddy and norton internet security on steroids.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

invictius wrote:Someone mentioned a program to retain the windows 7 UI on 10, so its' scaling would solve all this but just running 10 in a vm, it's more bloated with things that need disabling than banzai buddy and norton internet security on steroids.
What does that have to do with resolution scaling and borderless window? :shock:
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I'm trying to decode what he's trying to say. Windows 7's UI? Aero? The Desktop Window Manager? I don't recall Windows 7's "UI" scaling anything down or up.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”