At what point does software mode outperform opengl?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

At what point does software mode outperform opengl?

Post by invictius »

Downgraded from a geforce 450 to a 210 because the formers' fan was too noisy, and the 210 just has a heatsink. My zdoom performance is actually way better than gzdoom at the same resolution. Is there any rough guide as to at what point software mode becomes more viable? Oh, this is on an i7-870.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: At what point does software mode outperform opengl?

Post by Rachael »

This question can't be answered simply because there is no defining point where one will become better than the other. There's too many variables that can cause a shift from one to the other.

Both renderers struggle with BSP walks, but beyond that, anything can change it - scene complexity, resolution, transparency, the types of CPU's or GPU's used, how many cores are used, the clock rates, how the program using them is optimized, the line is just shifting way too much to define anything as a single 'point' where it occurs.

The most common occurrence of that "point" is probably from computers circa 2003 or so - when GPU's were still fairly new and maturing - and didn't have the kind of power that today's graphics processors do. But again, with all the other factors to consider, even that point is shifting and changing.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: At what point does software mode outperform opengl?

Post by drfrag »

Which ZDoom version? The software renderer actually should be faster both in ZDoom32 and QZDoom due to the recently added render culling options. I must confess that i play with OpenGL on a crappy ATI integrated video tough.
Unrelated but i get a fragment shaders failed to link error and i guess that's why i don't see much of a difference between 1.9.1 and recent versions with the legacy render path, i need to try that old version on a Geforce FX.

Return to “General”