Controller or keyboard and mouse?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
XristoferLee

Controller or keyboard and mouse?

Post by XristoferLee »

Maybe this is a noob topic but do you prefer to play gzdoom or zdoom with a keyboard and mouse or with a controller. Me personally I like the xbox one controller because it's easier to strafe and I don't feel like aiming suffers at all with Doom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Controller or keyboard and mouse?

Post by Graf Zahl »

I find Doom close to unplayable with a controller.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I think most people here will be using KB+M.

I believe one of my Reelism co-developers actually rigged up a PC to his TV and did some testing of the mod with a gamepad from the comfort of his sofa. But then again, IIRC he also tested it on one of those 3D monitors, so I guess he just had a thing for being contrary.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Depends on where I'm sitting. I have my main gaming rig hooked up to my TV, so a controller is generally more comfortable. However, KBM is my preferred control scheme by a country mile. The only issue with sofa PC gaming is that I have to prop the keyboard against the sofa arm and set the mouse on a stack of old GPU boxes to make it any way feasible. So, I tend to plump for the joypad when not sitting at my desktop. I don't find joypads as unwieldy as a lot of other people when playing Doom, primarily because I cut my teeth on the PS1 port which predates analogue thumbsticks.
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

I have my controls set up cod style with foward backstep and strafing set to left thumb and aiming set to right. A for action x for melee b reload sholder buttons switch weapons y for jump back for map hat for inventory and l3 crouch and r3 run
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

I prefer to play All my games on a keyboard and mouse. Thats why I don't own a console. XD
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

If the mod/TC has an inventory, and requires you to quickly activate/deactivate stuff, I prefer mouse and keyboard. Most controllers don't have enough buttons to host EVERYTHING (attack, action, run/walk, weapon quickselect, item activate, crouch, jump, crawl, secondary attack, sniper scope zoom etc. etc.)
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

I agree so my keyboard is always near by for those options really I use keyboard and controller combination.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I always wondered, it would be pretty cool of controllers had a distinct button for sniper scope/secondary attack. It'd really save a ton of trouble IMHO.
Nash

Post by Nash »

How do you even turn fast enough with the right thumbstick, considering Doom's extremely frantic and fast gameplay...
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Part of the problem is that there isn't any kind of turning acceleration with the joysticks. Keyboard turning has it though. Another problem is being able to reliably track enemies that can move quick. I have made a mod quite a while back that could lock on to enemies. I originally used it with D-touch, but I recently updated it so it probably won't work with that anymore.
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

Nash wrote:How do you even turn fast enough with the right thumbstick, considering Doom's extremely frantic and fast gameplay...
In gzdoom there is an option to increase x and y sensitivity on each thumb stick. If you're use to counsel games then tracking will come easy, but it may help if you enable auto aim. It doesn't literally aim for you it just makes it to where your hit box is just a bit bigger. The mod I am working with for my maps is really fast pace compared to vanilla doom and I have no problem racking up the kills.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

XristoferLee wrote:In gzdoom there is an option to increase x and y sensitivity on each thumb stick. If you're use to counsel games then tracking will come easy, but it may help if you enable auto aim. It doesn't literally aim for you it just makes it to where your hit box is just a bit bigger. The mod I am working with for my maps is really fast pace compared to vanilla doom and I have no problem racking up the kills.
Ohhh, just wait till we finish our TC - levels like Future Fuckballz or Ice WILL burn...! shall make you run back to keyboard and mouse, believe you me ;) not because of the enemies, but the various indestructible hazards and tricky movement strategies. In certain situations, even a single Shotgun Guy can be a real pain in the arse, dodging obstacles and fighting at the same time is a really nasty thing even with a keyboard and a precision mouse! It's even worse on moving ground (conveyer belt maybe?)
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

Looking forward to it. I will even put my playthrough on youtube. Make sure to send me a link when your done.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I sure will, fam! :) I've added you to the list, so there'll be no chance of missing you as a possible candidate looking for some action! Lingyan203 (youtube) accepted my first challenge, and I must say, he finished the previous game pretty skillfully. Before jumping straight into the deep water, you should try that one with joystick. It is a billion times easier than the sequel will be, you can count on that! :D

Return to “General”