OBS and GZDoom

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
coldcite

OBS and GZDoom

Post by coldcite »

I'm having a terrible FPS drop (might be some kind of lock to 30-36) while running OBS in the background in "GL modes" like hardware GL or software mode with a GL canvas, software (D3D) works fine.
After a few minutes of Googling around, found a few comments regarding how OBS doesn't seem to like OpenGL in Windows compared to D3D, and the latter is always preferred/recommended, but I don't really know the validity of those.
Any of you guys ever managed to properly run this program while in GL mode in some way or are those comments true and there's nothing to do but stick to D3D?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: OBS and GZDoom

Post by Hellser »

The validity of OBS not liking OpenGL is half true and false. For me, I have trouble trying to get a game capture lock on GZDoom - often requiring a few tries before it actually catches. As for the massive framerate drop like you describe.. no, can't say I have had that problem. Generally that issue comes around from you attempting to tell h264 (or whatever encoding codec you are using) to encode in a near lossless quality. Which harkens back to people using FRAPS and wondering why their framerate plummets.

Do you have this issue with other games that is not GZDoom? If so, mind telling us what settings you are using for OBS (Preset, Encoding Codec, Framerate, Bitrate, are you using two-pass or not, etc)?
coldcite

Post by coldcite »

Hellser wrote:The validity of OBS not liking OpenGL is half true and false. For me, I have trouble trying to get a game capture lock on GZDoom - often requiring a few tries before it actually catches. As for the massive framerate drop like you describe.. no, can't say I have had that problem. Generally that issue comes around from you attempting to tell h264 (or whatever encoding codec you are using) to encode in a near lossless quality. Which harkens back to people using FRAPS and wondering why their framerate plummets.

Do you have this issue with other games that is not GZDoom? If so, mind telling us what settings you are using for OBS (Preset, Encoding Codec, Framerate, Bitrate, are you using two-pass or not, etc)?
That capture lock you mention seems to be the breaking point, as I fire up OBS everything is still normal, then a tiny freeze occurs after a few seconds right before OBS starts showing up the preview, and it's from that moment on FPS is locked to 30-40. It's not even "encoding" at that point yet, so I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly?) it's not an x264 or OBS settings issue, it happens even with (hardware) NVENC anyways, and it doesn't go up or down when it starts recording/streaming.

After a bit of more troubleshooting it definitively seems it's some kind of OpenGL problem, all D3D modern games I tried work fine, but 2016 Doom (which also runs on GL) has exactly the same issues.
I've been thinking it could be NVidia overlay playing dirty somehow, even though I have everything in it disabled.

Guess I'll go bug OBS fellows about it, but I'll try a bit more research on my own first.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I recommend to bug the OBS guys. They're more than willing to help out with your issue. Or point to a thread saying that they know about it. I've went to them before when the program was young.
coldcite

Post by coldcite »

coldcite wrote:I've been thinking it could be NVidia overlay playing dirty somehow, even though I have everything in it disabled.
Hey what do you know, after completely turning the whole "share" thing off everything is fine: steady 60 FPS now.
No freeze on the hookup either.

Return to “General”