What performance gain does going 64-bit have?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

What performance gain does going 64-bit have?

Post by invictius »

Always used 32 bit for some reason. Is it as big a gain as having sse2?
dpJudas

Re: What performance gain does going 64-bit have?

Post by dpJudas »

For the software renderer there's about a 30% speed boost in true color mode because 64-bit has twice as many SSE registers and the inner drawer loops apparently needs them.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The speed boost is also there for paletted rendering. In OpenGL it doesn't really matter that much because the true limiters are elsewhere.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

There's also the ability to use more than 3-4gb of RAM, but realistically that won't be an issue until Blade of Agony Episode 3 feeds all the sprites and textures through a resize-and-sharpen Photoshop script until they're 8k resolution.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Does GZDoom's resource manager actually have the ability to use more than 4 GB RAM?

I imagine with big hi-def mods like Total Chaos that actually use large (> 2k) textures and models exclusively, that threshold could be hit pretty fast, but is the GZDoom executable actually able to handle and use all that large asset data?

Also, I'm guessing with textures (and sprites too?), that data would go into the VRAM and not the system RAM, won't it? So ultimately the user would also need a beefy graphics card to handle those texture-heavy mods...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Kinsie wrote:There's also the ability to use more than 3-4gb of RAM, but realistically that won't be an issue until Blade of Agony Episode 3 feeds all the sprites and textures through a resize-and-sharpen Photoshop script until they're 8k resolution.
Just a sidenote, Blade of Agony looks AMAZING with xBRZ scaling, bloom, linear tonemapping, multisampling, and ambient occlusion. I haven't been brave enough to turn on shadowmapping since I get occasional texture-loading chugs as-is, but it's totally worth the performance hit IMO.

8-)
invictius

Post by invictius »

Caligari87 wrote:
Kinsie wrote:There's also the ability to use more than 3-4gb of RAM, but realistically that won't be an issue until Blade of Agony Episode 3 feeds all the sprites and textures through a resize-and-sharpen Photoshop script until they're 8k resolution.
Just a sidenote, Blade of Agony looks AMAZING with xBRZ scaling, bloom, linear tonemapping, multisampling, and ambient occlusion. I haven't been brave enough to turn on shadowmapping since I get occasional texture-loading chugs as-is, but it's totally worth the performance hit IMO.

8-)
What kind of system are you running to have things jerky when loading textures at times?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Core i3-2120, 8GB RAM, GTX950, 1920x1080. Playing chapter 1 of BOA and it's mostly running at 80-120fps with the settings I mentioned, but sometimes I get these split-second lag spikes where it drops to 3-10fps for a second or two then goes right back up. In the past with other things and other system configs on GZDoom, I've noticed this seems to be linked to high-res textures/sprites first loading, dynamic lights coming into view, and now (in the case of BoA at least) portal transitions. To be honest it doesn't really bother me so I've never tried to mitigate or troubleshoot it much.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I get split-second lag spikes in ZDoom and GZDoom too, especially when running into the armor room secret in Doom 2 MAP01. I guess my system chugs trying to load the secret sound. It only happens once per Windows session. Also it doesn't happen all the time, I would say about 50-50 chance.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:Does GZDoom's resource manager actually have the ability to use more than 4 GB RAM?
No, Why should there be a limitation anywhere? 64 bit has 64 bit pointers so they can address more than 4 GB.
The real problems are when you run out of memory, both system and video. All the bits in the world can't do much if the data cannot be stored anymore and needs to get paged in and out.

Return to “General”