Looking for good multiplayer maps... for AI competition.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Marqt

Looking for good multiplayer maps... for AI competition.

Post by Marqt »

Hello, I'm one of the organizers of Visual Doom AI Competition, where AI agents have access only to screen buffer and same basic variables like their health and ammo.
In the last year's competition we used simple symmetrical maps created by ourselves and it turned out, that we aren't great map designers ;).
This year we would like to use more "human-designed", but still quite simple (not too big) maps.
So I wanted to ask what existing maps (both from the vanilla Doom and from various WAD files) would be suitable in your opinion?

I would also like to thank you - the community around ZDoom engine. On this forum we found solutions for many of the problems we encountered.
Best regards!
Ru5tK1ng

Re: Looking for good multiplayer maps... for AI competition.

Post by Ru5tK1ng »

Well you have quite a bit to choose from and it really depends on what style/look you want for the competition. I'll use a site that has pictures so you can see before you download.

If you want that old classic style of play I'd suggest the following: Greenwar, British 11, Execution, Dwango 5, Dwango 6, 2DM Maps, Unidoom Deathmatch 1, Vexdoom, Dwango12.

If you want something inspired by the classics but a bit more modern try: Unidoom DM 2, Onslaught Triology, Eon Deathmatch(shameless plug), Lazarus DM, The Last Strike DM, Unidoom DM 3, Uptight DM.

Modern Wads(guess mid-late 2000s can be modern) that added some more focus on looks and features as well as good design: Unidoom DM X, Sabbat Martyr, CyberCrime 3, Instagib Pack, Dynamite Deathmatch, Crucified Dreams.

The mixed bag of assortment; 32in24 is basically a series of speedmapping from various authors which means various styles, looks and designs. As such, you'll find some quality gems. Unfortunately you'll also find things that wouldn't make the cut for dwango5 in terms of design. Regardless, it's definitely worth checking out: 32in24-11, 32in24-13, 32in24-15

If you want something that uses more modern features such as 3D floors in their designs, there's really only: DBAB DM/LMS, Aeon Deathmatch

If you can't get something to work or have any issues, just post and ask because I know some of the above might require extra resources to run. Some might require a fixed version as well.

Now that I have given you the grand list of deathmatch, go forth and never settle for symmetrical maps again. :wink:
Marqt

Post by Marqt »

Thank you Ru5tK1ng very much, you post was really helpful.
I looked through the maps you listed and found more than I expected, now we have great maps for at least 10 more editions of the competition :)
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

For many years we gravitated to two classic maps Brit11 and CalgonFX.

However, since Morgenstern, it became our favorite. Needs a relatively good computer, though.

Return to “General”