Capturing GZDoom video (NVIDIA Shadowplay)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
kelbesh

Capturing GZDoom video (NVIDIA Shadowplay)

Post by kelbesh »

So, one of the recent driver updates for NVIDIA added support for OpenGL games, which means technically it now should be able to record GZDoom gameplay. When I frirst tried it on some mod, it didn't work and said that "A supported game is required to use this feature". But I found it worked for vanilla GZDoom and later it worked also for the said mod after I reset the settings to default. Ufortunately now it doesn't work on GZDoom (vanilla or modder). Does someone use NVIDIA Shadowplay to record GZDoom gameplay? Did you have similar problem? I can't use the "Record Desktop" workaround for Shadowplay, because I have laptop and that is only for desktop NVIDIA cards.

I also tried OBS, but the video is not nearly as smooth as with Shadowplay (OBS video example here: https://youtu.be/1S0AiO2eSUI), even when I tried setting higher FPS. Then again I'm new to OBS, so maybe there are some really important settings that I've missed.
Enjay

Re: Capturing GZDoom video (NVIDIA Shadowplay)

Post by Enjay »

I've managed to use both OBS and Shadowplay to record GZDoom with and without mods.

However, since a few nVidia drivers back, the video recording no longer seems to be called Shadowplay but just appears in the settings tab of the GeForce Experience program as "Share". Go to the settings tab, enable share (if it isn't already) and you can set up recording options from there. Works for me™.
kelbesh

Post by kelbesh »

Yeah, it's not called Shadowplay anymore, I just got used to the old name. I have it enabled. If I didn't then nothing would happen if I tried to record the video, but instead a mini notification window with the "A supported game is required to use this feature" appears. Do you use OBS with default settings or did you change something? OBS works for me, I just find that the video it makes lacks smoothness (it's not terribly laggy, but you can see it's "not right").
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not aware of doing anything special in either OBS or "Shadowplay". TBH, I don't use either that much so I don't remember fully what I did. However, I think that they both worked pretty much "out of the box" other than setting up where I wanted to save my recordings etc. I don't remember doing anything specifically to try and improve performance or anything like that.

Of the two, I prefer "Shadowplay" because it does seem to give better results and seems less awkward to use IMO.

[edit]
"Shadowplay definintely works with GZDoom and mods. I just grabbed this with no problems or special setup:

(The slight jerkiness of the aircraft is in the game. The video itself is a smooth as the game is.)

[/edit]
kelbesh

Post by kelbesh »

Just in case anyone has the same problem, I found out the reason. Video capture didn't work, because I have Wallpaper Engine and it was running when I tried to capture video. Turning it of or pausing it before starting the NVIDIA video capture solved the problem.

Return to “General”