Soundfont discussion

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: Soundfont discussion

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:23 am

Using the FluidSynth->"Select Configuration" option in the sound menu to change soundfonts appears to be broken for me in the latest gzdoom.

The error message is "Invalid command for menudef/zscript: fluid_patchset C:/Doom/SF/test.sf2"
Does anybody else have this issue?
JustSomeGuy

Postby Gez » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 am

Yeah, this comes from a hasty fix to a potential issue. A better fix should come with the next release version sometimes soon.
Gez

Postby _mental_ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 am

Workaround is to set fluid_patchset CVAR directly in console. It supports copy/paste via usual shortcut so it's not a big deal.
Code: Select allExpand view
fluid_patchset C:/Doom/SF/test.sf2

Unfortunately soundfont/patchset menus are still broken at the moment. I'll take a closer look at this problem.
_mental_

Postby Xaser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 am

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Only found out about this the other day...the music in SSD sounds awful with the new fluidsynth default - soo much chorus fx, some synths will drown out everything else. (in fact the only reason I upgraded to 3.1 in the middle of the playthrough was because I hit a track that wouldn't play at all with 3.0, one of several it turned out)

Does anyone know of a soundfont that is close to the original fmod playback?

.mid composer's two cents here: the included soundfont (gzdoom.sf2) frankly works pretty well... if the fluid_chorus and fluid_reverb settings are disabled. Enabling either of these totally throws things out of whack, and no midi composers in the Doom community write music with reverb/chorus in mind. With those two switched off, the sound is close enough to GM.dls that most tracks tend to play As The Artist Intended(tm), which is really what the engine's default behavior should be.

I'd really like to propose changing those two settings to be off by default. It's already confusing folks into thinking the included soundfont is problematic, when it's really the settings.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 am

Done. I don't use FluidSynth but I regularly disable these two settings for any MIDI synth I use.
Interestingly their Timidity++ counterparts default to 'off'.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Xaser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Much obliged! That should square things up.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Xaser wrote:.mid composer's two cents here: the included soundfont (gzdoom.sf2) frankly works pretty well... if the fluid_chorus and fluid_reverb settings are disabled. Enabling either of these totally throws things out of whack, and no midi composers in the Doom community write music with reverb/chorus in mind. With those two switched off, the sound is close enough to GM.dls that most tracks tend to play As The Artist Intended(tm), which is really what the engine's default behavior should be.

Typically I find MIDI music sounds flat and bland if there's no reverb or chorus. I don't know exactly how MIDI reverb and chorus works, though. IIRC, soundfonts can define the amount of reverb and chorus per instrument, and the song itself can set it per channel too (additive? override? or...?), but I don't know how that interacts with the chorus and reverb options. Do they need to be on for those effects to be applied at all, or do they force it on at full regardless of the soundfont and song?
Chris

Postby Xaser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:21 am

You'd have to ask someone else about how channel-defined reverb/chorus is handled. All I know about it is that it exists, but no Doom community .mid composers ever seem to use it. The de facto "standard" sound is vanilla GM.dls, and forcing the settings off by default is the least of the evils even if it stomps the channel-defined stuff.

To clarify something, I certainly don't mind if folks enable those settings manually, change the soundfont, or otherwise tweak the sound to their heart's content. Just so long as the engine isn't presenting it as a default; that'd be like distributing GZDoom with a gameplay mod enabled by default. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby ferrao » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 pm

EmperorGrieferus wrote:
Gez wrote:https://forums.duke4.net/topic/6973-sc-55-soundfont-huge-update/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmN1a3cDMg

I can't find SC-55 Soundfont by Patch93 v2.0.

I had it on my hard disk:
https://mega.nz/#!dB5z3aZQ!yNrp3q9QAxUe ... xDzU4gNkA4
ferrao

Discord: viniciusferrao
Twitch ID: viniciusferrao
Github ID: viniciusferrao
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Hellser » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Typically we don't approve necrobump posts, but since this -- to me anyways -- a form of preservation, I'm allowing it. Next time, please see how long ago the last post was posted. Generally if it's over six months, then don't worry about posting. :)
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Rachael » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Any post that is extremely helpful is a good necro bump, and perfectly okay. :)
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby bLUEbYTE » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:09 am

_mental_ wrote:Workaround is to set fluid_patchset CVAR directly in console. It supports copy/paste via usual shortcut so it's not a big deal.
fluid_patchset C:/Doom/SF/test.sf2

Unfortunately soundfont/patchset menus are still broken at the moment. I'll take a closer look at this problem.

Is this a file path problem? Because if it is, I doubt that there will be any issue if you set
[SoundfontSearch.Directories]
in the config where you have your soundfiles - that way only the filename gets used in the config.

As for the original question, here's my ratings from best to worst for use within Doom, out of my soundfonts shortlist:

SGM-V2.01.sf2 *****
FatBoy-v0.786.sf2 ****
WeedsGM3.sf2 ***
Unison.sf2 **
Chorium.sf2 *

I have reverb enabled with default parameters, but chorus is not globally enabled as I think it gets a bit too muddy and annoying after a while.

Also, check this out: https://solmire.com/soundfonts.php - very useful for getting a quick idea of different soundfonts.
bLUEbYTE

Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Previous

Return to General