Image size issue on while browsing threads

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Image size issue on while browsing threads

Post by Evil Operative »

Ever since I have started actively browsing the forums, I have come to face this issue where large images get cut in half in the initial thread, and as a result, I have to take an extra step of opening the image in a new tab to view it.
What should I do to overcome this?

EDIT: Note that in the second picture, the medium-size images barely tend to fit inside the thread itself.
Enjay

Re: Image size issue on while browsing threads

Post by Enjay »

The obvious answer is resize your pictures or use a thumbnail.

There's even a rule about it and everything. ;)
Be VERY CAREFUL with images and videos! When making posts that contain high amounts of large images or video embeds, we would much prefer if you used thumbnails or off-site links instead. If you must post large images (anything larger than 640x480 pixels), see the Guidelines for Posting Images below. Not everybody has a powerful (or unlimited) internet connection. Some of our users are stuck on narrow bandwidth due to location; others may be using mobile internet that comes with data transfer caps. Please keep these people in mind.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27644

Details:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56065

[edit] For what it's worth, I use Firefox and have installed the "Image Zooom" plugin that allows me to right-click an image and resize it to let me see it at a suitable size. Not as good as people following the rules, of course, but still useful. [/edit]
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

This issue is unfortunately a user issue. They don't resize their images to fit in that size, although it would be nice if the site could automatically scale the image to fit inside the reply section and be able to click to expand.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Post by Evil Operative »

Nevander wrote:This issue is unfortunately a user issue. They don't resize their images to fit in that size, although it would be nice if the site could automatically scale the image to fit inside the reply section and be able to click to expand.
I'll +1 that, Nevander.

Looks like I'll have to stick to opening the images in a new tab because I don't really like Firefox.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I use Firefox and it happens in here too. It's a site issue independent of the browser I'm pretty sure.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nevander wrote:I use Firefox and it happens in here too. It's a site issue independent of the browser I'm pretty sure.
As I said, I installed a plugin to allow Firefox to resize images for me. It doesn't do it out of the box.

FWiW, Rachael installed a very nice mod over at the DRD forum that auto-thumbnails images and then they expand when you click them.
e.g. https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=105

However, I don't think the mod is compatible with things here.
Gezzdt

Post by Gezzdt »

Or you could zoom out the page with your browserto see the full image.

Return to “General”