Weird sounding Lift Stop sound effect

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HyperLuke

Weird sounding Lift Stop sound effect

Post by HyperLuke »

For some bizarre reason, when using any sourceport through ZDL, the Lift Stop sound effect, (heard a fair bit in the menu if you use arrow keys), is higher pitched than normal, audio settings, drivers, devices, etc, look completely normal, I know its a incredibly minor issue, but it has been annoying me. Any ideas?
Enjay

Re: Weird sounding Lift Stop sound effect

Post by Enjay »

ZDL itself cannot be doing this. All it does is provide a convenient interface for putting together all the elements that you would otherwise put on the command line manually. It doesn't load any files or change anything unless you tell it to.

My guess is that, somehow, you have an altered/damaged DOOM2.WAD and that's the one that you've set ZDL to load in the IWAD selection or you are somehow loading an additional file that changes the sound in question. Assuming we are talking about Doom2, do you have any other games, set up in ZDL? Does the same thing happen in Doom or can you get similar effects with the menu sounds in Freedoom, Heretic, etc?

If you hit the ZDL button and then look at the Actions sub-menu, there is an option to look at the command line. That might show up something. Also, once *ZDoom has started, you can open the console and scroll up to near the top. There will be a list of which files have loaded. Again, that might give some clues. (Post results here if you like.)

You could also double check your ZDL settings to see where the IWAD you are using is and then open it in SLADE. Look for the sound effect in question (I think it is probably DSPSTOP ) and see how it sounds (don't alter/save your IWAD though).

[edit]One additional thought, ZDoom can randomly alter the pitches of sounds if the option to do so is enabled. Other source ports may also be able to do this (it was something that old versions of the original Doom could do). You haven't enabled that option have you? [/edit]
HyperLuke

Post by HyperLuke »

Just noticed, it's happening only when I play the Doom: The Golden Souls. Which is weird.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There must be something about the mod. However, I've tried with demo1 and demo2 of The Golden Souls (using ZDL) and my menu sounds normal so maybe your copy has become altered/damaged somehow?
HyperLuke

Post by HyperLuke »

Hmm, that seems weird, I will try downloading it again at some point, see if it helps, well, thanks anyway.

Return to “General”