Anyone think that Doom II was wasted potential?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Reactor

Re: Anyone think that Doom II was wasted potential?

Post by Reactor »

Heh, you're right :) after the demonic invasion, the population of Earth was significantly lower. I never really missed any spaceships tho...since teleportation seems to be an everyday routine method for travelling between places, why would anyone bother to build a physically existing spaceship, when you can just beam yourself around?
Sure it may have caused lots of telefrags and misdirections, but hell...no pain, no gain!!! :D
KJV

Re: Anyone think that Doom II was wasted potential?

Post by KJV »

Surely Doom II had it's moments, but all in all it lacked enough of a distinctive theme as well as that rather "energizing" sense of progression at which it's EM-based forerunner excelled. Furthermore, the aesthetic mundanity of the first couple of levels kind of sets the mood for the remainder of this somewhat forgettable journey.

Definitely agree on Doom2 contributing as a resource wad. Plutonia and TNT; completely different animals, specially Plutonia, my favourite after the original Doom.

Howbeit, and to be brutally honest, I haven't really played Doom II from start to finish in a long time, yet it's perfectly possible that my brain's rewired itself to appreciate things that I didn't care for all that much back in the day (and so it happened to me with Tomb Raider many moons after it's heyday).

Return to “General”