Wolfen preview

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Xaser » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:18 am

Dang, There sure are quite a few people asking for help on this thing! Maybe you should create a walkthrough, LWM.
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Postby LilWhiteMouse » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:18 am

Enjay wrote:I noticed the location of the traps by the flame mask puzzle were in a different place this time - nice touch.


Two of the passages have two possible traps each. One can either be the spike pit or a crusher, the other is a deep pit or crusher. The safe passage is chosen at random on the maps start, and indicated if you look closely.

Anyway, I noticed that the final battle (after the change) I still had flechettes in my inventory and was able to get the bad guys to walk into the poison clouds.

One odd thing, the second time I tried the final battle, I did so with god mode on (which may or may not be relevant) half way through, a message came up in the middle of the screen saying "500 dead". Is that supposed to happen?


I'll remove the players flechettes same time I remove the summoning doll.

"Supposed" to happen, no, but that's the way it's scripted. I thought I commented it out when I finished the boss scripts, is now though.
User avatar
LilWhiteMouse
"Stop the world, I'm getting off."
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Maine, US

Postby Hirogen2 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:23 am

A live walkthrough even (make a demo), possibly?
User avatar
Hirogen2
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Central Germany
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:42 am

because this wad is so random, a walkthru woud be a little hard wouldnt it?
User avatar
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Location: ferret ~/C/ZDL $

Postby Hirogen2 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:45 am

You guys know technologies to make maps interesting... :) randomizing
User avatar
Hirogen2
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Central Germany
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:58 am

thats why LWM's wads ownz so much

/me bows down
User avatar
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Location: ferret ~/C/ZDL $

Postby Hirogen2 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:42 am

What you say!!11
User avatar
Hirogen2
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Central Germany
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Cyb » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:45 am

I assume zdoom saves the seed when recording a demo, so random stuff shouldn't be a problem
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby LilWhiteMouse » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:48 am

Cyb wrote:I assume zdoom saves the seed when recording a demo, so random stuff shouldn't be a problem


I think what they meant was that the path I took in the demo wouldn't necessarily be the path they'd have to take.
User avatar
LilWhiteMouse
"Stop the world, I'm getting off."
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Maine, US

Postby Hirogen2 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:53 am

Cyb: that'd be interesting, but: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=3113 scroll up:
Hirogen2 wrote:
Fredrik wrote:It wasn't necessary, you could just store the initial seed in the header of the demo file.

But there is no seed in the Doom demo lump!

In the ZDoom demo format there may be. If not, consider this:
it's exactly the tic when you do an action that is the random seed.
If you hit that switch at tic X, looking up the random numbers table, yields that number, so place that key there.
If it's switch at tic Y, same, but other position.
User avatar
Hirogen2
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Central Germany
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HotWax » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:28 pm

I think I *may* have found another bug, but frankly I'm not sure what caused it or what I was supposed to do different. Maybe I overlooked something.

I finally got to the map past the fire key door (the one with lotsa lava), which I must say was very difficult. I must have died about 30 times. Ugh. Anyway, I got to the Metroid Prime Ridley-clone boss ;) as the Fighter, killed him, and some stairs formed. Went down to the base of the tower and in the door, killed the wizard there, and hit the switch. Got the message that the manabeam anchor had been severed and that the map was complete.

So, uh... where are you supposed to go at this point? Whenever I would step out the door, I would die immediately as if there was a script that made me explode when I passed through the doorway. I tried going back to the top of the tower, but there was nowhere to go from there. I even checked the stairs for hidden doors and such with no luck. Then I went back downstairs and waiting for enemies to approach, killed all that did, waited some more, and when nothing new happened, tried walking outside again. SPLAT! Same result.

I eventually had to enable godmode to get out alive. What gives?
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Postby randi » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:57 pm

Hirogen2 wrote:
Hirogen2 wrote:But there is no seed in the Doom demo lump!

In the ZDoom demo format there may be.

I don't want to get this off-track, but of course the random seed is stored in ZDoom demos. Otherwise, it would be impossible to play back any demos without having them desync. Doom demos didn't need to store a seed because Doom always used the same sequence of "random" numbers each time it was run.

On-topic: I played through Wolfen preview 2 yesterday and had no problems with the ending. I did, however, have a very hard time finding the castle key. After half an hour of wandering around with no idea of what I hadn't yet visited, I gave up and looked for it in an editor.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Postby Cyb » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:43 pm

steve: there's a well by the foot of the tower that you jump into which sends you into that pool of water in a previous part of the map

hirogen: uh, the random seed is the start time of the program, overidden by the demo if you're playing one or the savegame you load (which also stores the seed)...

hehe, how come I'm the only one who hasn't had any problems with the castle key, weird, it seems some of the random locations are too hard and some are too easy (or just right depending on how you look at it). I'll have to check again later and see if I get a different location.
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby randi » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:12 pm

Another bug I've found is that I cannot step outside of the tower on MAP04 without dying. At first I thought it might have just been something I broke with the latest ZDoom version because nobody else mentioned it, but now I have checked it and I know it's an error in a map. The Actor Enters Sector thing in sector 24 is kiling me because sector 24 is used for both the ground outside the tower that you can see from the start of the map and also for the area that you teleport to and have the big fight at.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Postby LilWhiteMouse » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:38 pm

randy wrote:Another bug I've found is that I cannot step outside of the tower on MAP04 without dying.


Fixed. That was to fix a previous "bug" where you could jump off the top of the towers and not die.

How about a compromise on the castle key. On easy and medium skills the key will be in a fixed "open" (no jumping/destroying required) location, hard will be randomized?
User avatar
LilWhiteMouse
"Stop the world, I'm getting off."
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Maine, US

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests