Problems with Doom 64: Absolution on ZDoom (Mac)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
EldritchNexus

Problems with Doom 64: Absolution on ZDoom (Mac)

Post by EldritchNexus »

I'm trying to play the Absolution source port on ZDoom, but I'm experiencing two problems with it:

1- The graphics are ridiculously darkened. And I don't mean that there's a lighting problem. I mean everything I see looks like it was put through a filter and their textures distorted beyond recognition.
2- I keep taking damage from the moment I start playing the game, even when I'm completely alone, doing absolutely nothing. I only get a few seconds to play before I die.

Is there a patch or something I can use to fix these two problems?
Nevander

Re: Problems with Doom 64: Absolution on ZDoom (Mac)

Post by Nevander »

You're not supposed to play the Absolution TC with ZDoom, it comes with a version of Doomsday that is meant to be used.
EldritchNexus

Post by EldritchNexus »

Well, that would certainly explain it. Though I've found WADs for ZDoom that do a pretty good job at emulating Doom 64's graphics, sounds, etc. Could it be possible for someone to port Absolution to ZDoom?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

What I would suggest is my own project which is a completely new port of Doom 64 to GZDoom which will be more faithful than the Absolution TC was. It's due to release on March 31st this year.

There's also GZDoom64 and Brutal Doom 64 if you want something to play now. A version of Doom 64 on strictly ZDoom will most likely not look or run very well. Many OpenGL features are used in all three versions of a Doom 64 port to G/ZDoom.
EldritchNexus

Post by EldritchNexus »

I really don't understand why a ZDoom port couldn't be possible. Like I said, there's lots of ZDoom-compatible WADs that use the same graphics and type of level geometry as Doom 64. In fact, even Absolution would work just fine on ZDoom if it had a different texture pack and you didn't take damage when NOTHING WAS HAPPENING.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Because just having the same features doesn't mean they work the same way, be patient and wait for Nevander's project, it's best.
EldritchNexus

Post by EldritchNexus »

I mean, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I just wonder how well a ZDoom-friendly version of Absolution would stand. I imagine that they'd have to remove/simplify some details (like the crusher in map 2), but I've seen lazier conversions in official console ports that still weren't all that bad.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As far as I've heard, that's almost precisely what Nevander is doing.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Except my project is meant for GZDoom, not ZDoom. It will probably run in ZDoom but due to OpenGL specific features like PNG truecolor sprites and graphics and colored sector lighting, any colors used for these will not look good at all since they will be forced into Doom's palette. AFAIK only first person graphics (like weapons) stay in truecolor. Feature wise, nothing is being used that isn't possible in ZDoom. I am not using 3D slopes, and also AFAIK normal 3D floors are fine in ZDoom.

Return to “General”