Aeons of death no longer works?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
crasy105

Aeons of death no longer works?

Post by crasy105 »

hi! :D
im new on this community i played doom 2 like some 4 or 5 years ago and it's really fun go through the levels and kill some demons, but with the players community content it makes the game more enjoyable and funnier.

some wads are incredible like urban slaughter, fist full of doom, Action doom, grezzo etc,etc. but one of my most favorites its aeons of death wich it gives a tons of weapons, randomized monsters of a bunch of some other similars of doom. :mrgreen:

but i lost my computer that have my doom wads and other files and i really want to enjoy again kill ultra bosses and shot with some powerfull weapons like the old times.
but when i downloaded the AeoD.pk3 and AeoDDat.pk3 with the newest zdoom/gzdoom launcher it not runs and shows many scripting errors (?) :bang:

i tried to download some older files but all links are down and search the specific GZDoom >= r1231 or Zdoom >= r3274 but i couldnt find anything about that.

someone can passme some links of some old versions (no send space D:) or something that help me to play again aeons? :?:

thanks for reading! :D
sorry for my english! :ninja:
Nevander

Re: Aeons of death no longer works?

Post by Nevander »

Just grab an older version from here.
crasy105

Post by crasy105 »

umm.. looks like that all older versions has been deleted by the newest versions :/
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Try the GZD archive
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Wat. Why were all the old official release versions removed? I used that forum to get certain old versions. :?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

They were removed because they were hogging a limited resource. That's what the archive is there for, after all.

Also, I find it a bit disturbing that you complain about this error but nobody actually bothers reporting it as a bug!
Where can I find aeoddat.pk3? The main download only has aeod.pk3 which loads without errors.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:Also, I find it a bit disturbing that you complain about this error but nobody actually bothers reporting it as a bug!
I believe it's because the programmers of AEOD considered it a bug on their end due to it having Wonderful Modder Code. They just haven't released a fixed version yet, because of reasons.
Graf Zahl wrote:Where can I find aeoddat.pk3? The main download only has aeod.pk3 which loads without errors.
Grab the "AEoD coding package" from the thread OP. It's been a while but IIRC aeod.pk3 is just assets while aeoddat.pk3 is the actual code.
crasy105

Post by crasy105 »

Hi!
Unfortunately I could not find a version of gzdoom / zdoom compatible with version 6.0 of Aeons of death and looks like that the aeoddat.pk3 have an tons of errors on the scripting code like A_jump and some other terms not definited.

but i found the v5 and is more estable than the v6, finaly i can play again Aeod :)
(works with zdoom 2.8.0)

id like to upload the file with everything what i used [the links in the original post are down]:
https://mega.nz/#!kdwSDTYR!BDisHa5w7kho ... VnyVVQX2HA

the original post link:
viewtopic.php?t=20500

Happy dooming! :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

crasy105 wrote:Hi!
Unfortunately I could not find a version of gzdoom / zdoom compatible with version 6.0 of Aeons of death and looks like that the aeoddat.pk3 have an tons of errors on the scripting code like A_jump and some other terms not definited.

The A_Jump is the most harmless thing. Far worse is that the user variable checker finds several occurences where a CustomInventory state chain runs into a state accessing a user variable, which is a crashing issue that couldn't be detected back then, but due to being a crashing issue prevents startup of the mod now.

It seems correct that these are indeed mod bugs, not engine bugs.

And let's not forget the apparently very common mistake of using 'random' with floats instead of 'frandom', which now properly dishes out an endless list of floating point truncation warnings.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

I play this (AEoD v6.06) with GZDoom g2.1.pre-1134-ga59824c with no problems.

here is the bat file who came with the mod i download some time ago

gzdoom.exe -file %1 %2 %3 aeod.pk3 aeoddat.pk3 +logfile mylog.txt
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Kinsie wrote:They just haven't released a fixed version yet, because of reasons.
Reasons being: lack of time and interest (speaking for myself, not any other aeod dev)

@crasy105: you'll have better luck on finding "how to" in the aeod thread

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20500

@Graf: what can i say? That thing has code that is probably over 8 years old, from when i started learning stuff. I'm positive it has things more offending than bad random definitions. Last time i took a crack at it (several years ago) i found bits of code dating to when aeod was starting (with a different name).

Props to cooke for trying to keep it floating, but i see why its so hard to do so.

Also dependencies on devbuils doesn't help, because what works on a devbuild may break in another. I know that's the gamble with making a project to only work with devbulds, thats why i no longer do that and instead a rely on official stable releases: less maintenance needed :P

Return to “General”