Stereo 3D Glasses

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Stereo 3D Glasses

Post by Zenon »

Where would one get all the different sets of 3D Glasses that GZDoom supports?
How much would each type cost?
Which ones work the best?

I'm guessing I can ask about it here since this is pretty much gzdoom forums now
biospud

Re: Stereo 3D Glasses

Post by biospud »

The best available 3D glasses are the nvidia 3D vision glasses, which requires a special monitor costing a few hundred US dollars, plus special glasses costing about 100 US dollars. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-glasses.html

Nearly as good would be a special passive 3D monitor with passive 3D glasses, but such a setup is extremely difficult to purchase at the moment.

Paper glasses for the anaglyph 3D modes can be purchased for a few dollars (slightly prefer the green/magenta ones). These are good enough to give you a sense of what is possible in 3D doom, but are a bit too irritating for serious gameplay.

One of these days when I find a few free weekends, I will add support for some virtual reality headsets, like in GZ3Doom. Virtual reality adds large doses of both awesomeness and new problems.

Do you really want ALL the glasses?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

biospud wrote:The best available 3D glasses are the nvidia 3D vision glasses, which requires a special monitor costing a few hundred US dollars, plus special glasses costing about 100 US dollars. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-glasses.html
Yeah, but that doesn't stop the 3D Vision options being auto-enabled whenever I update my driver even though I don't have any of the hardware. :evil:
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I tried getting 3D vision to work, with GZdoom 3.1 (x64) using fullscreen and quad-buffered. Half the time the IR emitter wouldn't trigger, and the other half of the time it would trigger to give a lovely darker monoscopic image. :(

Has Nvidia Dropped support for Quad Buffered OpenGL in the latest drivers? The only post on google I could find is of Quad buffer not working in Windows 10, I have Windows 7, and I can't for the life of me get the quad buffer to deliver a stereoscopic image at all. >:(

Is Quad buffer not compatible with the 64bit version of Gzdoom 3.1?

Using 3D vision 2, with ASUS VG278 (built in IR emitter), latest display drivers on GTX1080.

If anyone else had this problem and solved It, please enlighten me. :?:
masterotaku

Post by masterotaku »

I have registered to say that I have released a 3D Vision fix today: http://helixmod.blogspot.com.es/2017/11/gzdoom.html

It looks like quad buffer 3D doesn't work in Windows 10, so I decided to make that fix for people like us. If you use GZDoom 3.2.1, you will be able to use a crosshair, HUD, and weapon depth hotkeys. If the shader hashes change in future versions, these things won't work, but the game will still be correct in 3D.

Don't use any VR or 3D mode in the ingame options. They aren't necessary.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Why are you doing this closed-source, though?
masterotaku

Post by masterotaku »

Rachael wrote:Why are you doing this closed-source, though?
If by closed source you mean the OpenGL wrapper (http://3dsurroundgaming.com/OGL3DVision.html) (I'm using the version included in DOOM, which is newer than the latest public release), it isn't my choice. Its creator, Helifax, made it like that. I asked him once about making it open source, but I don't remember his answer. He's still working on the wrapper and I suppose he wants to get some things done first. I'll ask again someday.

There aren't any other OpenGL wrappers to stereoize and modify shaders like this. It's the only option we have and a good one at that.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Stereoscopic GZDoom with 3D vision 2 glasses still works correctly for me.

* The game must be launched in true full screen mode at 1920x1080 ( or whatever your monitors native resolution is; all the 3D vision monitors I'm aware of are 1920x1080)
* The 3D monitor must be set to 120 Hz refresh rate
* Obviously, you need a system where 3D vision glasses are enabled and functioning correctly
* (EDIT) You must enable Quad buffered stereo in Options->Display Options->OpenGL Renderer->Enable Quad stereo. THEN RESTART GZDOOM.

My setup includes:
* Acer GD245HQ monitor 1920x1080@120Hz, set as the main display. This is my 3D Vision monitor
* Another monitor (ASUS) for extended desktop
* 3D vision 2 glasses
* Nvidia display driver version 388.13
* Windows 10
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Is there support for passive 3D displays in GzDoom or any other game engines? With passive both eyes get updates every frame, while with active only one eyes gets updates while the other gets blanked.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Hypersonic wrote:Is there support for passive 3D displays in GzDoom or any other game engines? With passive both eyes get updates every frame, while with active only one eyes gets updates while the other gets blanked.
Yes passive displays work with GzDoom. Use full screen display with either the row interleaved or the checkerboard interleaved stereo mode, depending on the particular passive display. Do you own a passive display? As far as I know, certain LG TVs are the only kind that are still commercially available in the US.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I do have a LG display with passive 3D, with a few different 3D modes. So 3D support is in GZDoom's menu system?

Unfortunately not even LG makes 3D TVs anymore, which is very disappointing. There is no reason why 4K and HDR can't be in combination with 3D. Wearing passive 3D glasses doesn't induce headaches like actives can, you can even operate your smartphone with them on, though it does look a bit strange when doing so.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Hypersonic wrote:I do have a LG display with passive 3D, with a few different 3D modes. So 3D support is in GZDoom's menu system?
In GZdoom under Option->Display->OpenGL->3D Mode->[various options]

select a 3D mode that matches the one you select on your LG 3D display. Most of the LG 3D modes should have a corresponding mode in GZDoom. I don't have access to an LG display at the moment, so I can't tell you which modes go with which. If you have trouble figuring it out, list the 3D modes your display supports here on this thread, and I'll help you choose a GZDoom 3D mode to get the best results.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Thanks for the info! I have one of these http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF8500-4k-uhd-led-tv which has 3 3D options. 1st option I assume is interlaced, then side by side, then top/bottom. With 4K resolution (8.3MP) I assume it will result in 4.15MP per eye each frame with passive 3D (60fps), unlike 3D Blu-Rays which are just 2.07MP or 1.03MP per eye per frame (24 or 30fps). Can't wait to try it out!
biospud

Post by biospud »

Hypersonic wrote:...1st option I assume is interlaced, then side by side, then top/bottom...
Any of those three modes should work well. I might give a very very slight preference to side-by-side mode on the TV with side-by-side-narrow 3D in gzdoom.

In case the rendering appears reversed, consider changing the CVAR vr_swap_eyes in the console.

If you then want to fine-tune the depth, maybe adjust vr_screendist.

Return to “General”