The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Undead » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

The ZDoom logo looks kind of weird just sitting right above the ZDoom text, at the top left.
User avatar
Undead
RUS/SRB translator
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Location: Sweden

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby enderandrew » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 am

Csonicgo wrote:Okay, so here are my demands. *gets out massive scroll*

  • We do need support, officially, for things like Mobile devices. not the touch-pad stuff, but OpenGLES2 support. the android forks out there already ahve this, but none of the official ports have carried that over. Such a move would allow the Raspberry Pi and other SoCs to have hardware accelerated rendering. And on that note:
  • Continued ARM support. this is crucial for futureproofing ZDoom. I feel that ARM will eventually take over completely in the mobile space, therefore, we need to make sure that these arches are supported fully. Blzut and you have done an outstanding job on this so far, let's hope this continues! there are some issues still around, like slopes in the distance with the wrong colors, and draw distance issues in general (as evidenced by shrooms.wad newstuff review that I did).
  • faster performance. Yeah I know, not a helpful bullet point - but stuff like Demonsteele have taken a nosedive in performance lately. I remember these being quite fast on my Raspberry Pi 2 - but now on my RPi 3, just doing the sword charge attacks slow down ZDoom to an unplayable state. This is not good! :V

This all ties together, not just for Android/mobile but also the Raspberry Pi as you mentioned.
enderandrew
 
Joined: 12 Dec 2016

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Rachael » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

I'm trying to make another version of "Blue" that reduces the delta from Prosilver so that all of its extensions are properly supported.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:23 am

enderandrew wrote:
Csonicgo wrote:Okay, so here are my demands. *gets out massive scroll*

  • We do need support, officially, for things like Mobile devices. not the touch-pad stuff, but OpenGLES2 support. the android forks out there already ahve this, but none of the official ports have carried that over. Such a move would allow the Raspberry Pi and other SoCs to have hardware accelerated rendering. And on that note:
  • Continued ARM support. this is crucial for futureproofing ZDoom. I feel that ARM will eventually take over completely in the mobile space, therefore, we need to make sure that these arches are supported fully. Blzut and you have done an outstanding job on this so far, let's hope this continues! there are some issues still around, like slopes in the distance with the wrong colors, and draw distance issues in general (as evidenced by shrooms.wad newstuff review that I did).
  • faster performance. Yeah I know, not a helpful bullet point - but stuff like Demonsteele have taken a nosedive in performance lately. I remember these being quite fast on my Raspberry Pi 2 - but now on my RPi 3, just doing the sword charge attacks slow down ZDoom to an unplayable state. This is not good! :V

This all ties together, not just for Android/mobile but also the Raspberry Pi as you mentioned.



All this requires one additional developer who can take care of this stuff. Otherwise it's just a complication that takes the focus off the really important things. You can't expect one single developer taking care of the engine as-is and all this, too. For me personally this stuff is ultra-low priority.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

The new design is nice, but I spotted something....

Just spotted a few issues though:
  • The post icons are optimized for a white background, so the icons all have a little white border.
  • Same goes to /zdoom_blue_v2/theme/images/icon_pages.gif
  • It has already been discussed a few times, I know, but ZDoom needs a better logo - also something I'd volunteer as a graphics designer (http://www.dg-media.com for references)
  • Beyond that we have the ZDoom logo in the upper left corner and also the text "ZDoom", one of them is redundant.
  • Add a "width: 100%" to the CSS of the class ".pm-alert", it looks a bit lost otherwise
  • Other than that, I think that the colors look a bit uniform, and the forum would benefit from a second eye-catcher color (compare it to what I've chosen for the Realm667) which could be used to display more obviously, which threads have new posts or to highlight other buttons and places of importance.
  • On the board overview, there should be more space (2-3 px) between the light blue horizontal line and the column titles (e.g. NEWS, TOPICS, POSTS), so the titles don't directly sit on the lines.

Beyond, I was always a big friend of the light design, so any chance to get something similar with light backgrounds and dark fonts? The question in general is always: Why moving from the brown/red combination to blue/dark? I mean, DRDTeam is dark blue already, why not sticking to the old color combination officially? Feels strange to change the Corporate Identity
User avatar
Tormentor667
needs more detail
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Rachael » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

I will not approve of a new logo for ZDoom without Randi. It's part of why I have never changed the DRD Team logo, either, I still consider that kind of "Grubber's" along with the name, even though I did take over the site - and yes, I know you did the logo yourself but he is the one who approved it.

If Randi says sure, though, I am all for it. Submit a few concepts and see if you can entice her. You may have to get her attention with a PM.

As for being blue - that is what was requested. I don't know why people aren't too fond of the brown/red scheme. It's not an official ZDoom scheme so I will not make it a default.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:36 am

Tormentor667 wrote:Beyond, I was always a big friend of the light design, so any chance to get something similar with light backgrounds and dark fonts? The question in general is always: Why moving from the brown/red combination to blue/dark? I mean, DRDTeam is dark blue already, why not sticking to the old color combination officially? Feels strange to change the Corporate Identity



Maybe because some people prefer light text on dark background? I have actual problems looking at a bright screen for longer periods of time and I set any software I can to something with white/yellow text on a dark background if I can.
It's always nice to have the option. It has been requested before but never happened. The other option is still there, after all.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Shadelight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am

Eruanna wrote:As for being blue - that is what was requested. I don't know why people aren't too fond of the brown/red scheme. It's not an official ZDoom scheme so I will not make it a default.

The brown is really blinding on some monitors and it's really annoying to look at. The darker ones were always much nicer to look at because of this.
User avatar
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.
 
Joined: 20 May 2005
Location: Labrynna
Discord: Shadelight#4920

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Gez » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 am

Tormentor667 wrote:It has already been discussed a few times, I know, but ZDoom needs a better logo

Nah. Besides why would it change logo now? Save the new logo for the relaunch, if it ever happens. In the meanwhile, feel free to do logos for different things, that aren't ZDoom itself. "ZDoom community forums", for instance, wouldn't it be ZDoom.
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Enjay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:50 am

What possibly should change, and it's an EXE thing rather than a forum thing, is the icon for the EXEs. Not because of recent changes but more because its an id sprite and it's Doom specific too.
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Accensus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:54 am

Lud delivers. Dark Prosilver (brown) (Disclaimer: Results may disappoint some.)

Tell me what you think and feel free to adjust accordingly. Unfortunately, Eruanna's template doesn't allow much room for specific improvements so I kinda had to "hack" my way around. In case you're wondering why the Forum Rules background is orange-ish...well, that's because it's really hard to read if it's any other color. And if I go too much towards green it starts to look out of place.
User avatar
Accensus
Vector, locked in.
 
Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Location: Somalia
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Undead » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

Man, that just looks really weird. Not sure what else to say.
User avatar
Undead
RUS/SRB translator
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Location: Sweden

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Accensus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Brown colors do look weird with low brightness. This was just an attempt. We don't even need more themes tbh. I'm trying different combinations so xcuse me if results are shit-tier.
User avatar
Accensus
Vector, locked in.
 
Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Location: Somalia
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't think we need that. There's already one weird theme which virtually nobody uses.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Postby Rachael » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 pm

v3 is ready for beta testing. Usual spot.

This makes it more compatible with prosilver.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bfready, Yandex [Bot] and 5 guests