The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The future of ZDoom, GZDoom, and QZDoom, and this site.

Post by Rachael »

I agree, Graf, and that's why DRD Team is moving away from Dreamhost's shared hosting. It may be cheap and affordable (certainly for me, but it also is probably convenient for Mike as well), but it's not cost effective to run a site that keeps getting out-of-memory or overzealous rogue process kill errors.

I even tried to increase php's memory allocation but it seems Dreamhost hard-locked it. None of their instructions on how to increase it have worked.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

All the hard work and enthusiasm of you great people warms my heart :)

For what it's worth, I want to cast my vote for ZDoom.org (wherever it's hosted) being the central namespace for all the projects and the eventual mergeback to "ZDoom 3" if Randi is open to letting us use the name. Also, keep these forums, let's not lose any history!

I'm really excited for the future here!

8-)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Quite true, Caligari - it would not be the first project that's ever ceased development under its original developers but continued in name under new ones. phpBB is one great example of that.

But that would indeed be up to Randi.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

Has Randi been informed of all that's happening, and actually replied to you? Because otherwise, this can end as badly as the split between Skulltag and Zandronum (I still remember the whole drama about stealing the forums and the port - exaggerated as it may sound), and I doubt anyone wants a repeat of that.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:Has Randi been informed of all that's happening, and actually replied to you? Because otherwise, this can end as badly as the split between Skulltag and Zandronum (I still remember the whole drama about stealing the forums and the port - exaggerated as it may sound), and I doubt anyone wants a repeat of that.
As far as I've understood, the decision to place Eruanna and Graf in charge of the port's future was entirely Randi's doing.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

TechnoDoomed1 wrote:Has Randi been informed of all that's happening, and actually replied to you? Because otherwise, this can end as badly as the split between Skulltag and Zandronum (I still remember the whole drama about stealing the forums and the port - exaggerated as it may sound), and I doubt anyone wants a repeat of that.
Did you read the news thread?
randi wrote:As for the zdoom.org site, eruanna has kindly accepted to take care of it so that the forum and wiki can continue to live on.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you are in doubt, please talk to her. I don't mind being held accountable with my actions (and have even privately asked wildweasel to do so, too), and have alerady informed her of my intention to transform the site into an umbrella site for ZDoom's family projects, mostly GZDoom.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I have a question. So ZDoom.org is becoming the new home of GZDoom and QZDoom. What about the actual ZDoom?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I intend to keep as much as possible - including ZDoom's file archive. The G/QZDoom stuff will be separated as appropriate, although it will be made clear that ZDoom's stuff is being kept for historical reasons.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

Kinsie wrote:Did you read the news thread?
randi wrote:As for the zdoom.org site, eruanna has kindly accepted to take care of it so that the forum and wiki can continue to live on.
Nope, my bad. Just finished reading it now.

I'm extremely happy of how things are turning. Progress being made on every front and the torch has been passed to very capable people without any problems or personal drama. :D

Congrats on my behalf, by the way. And I hope you find an acceptable solution for the hosting problem for both you, and the other devs (Graf, mainly).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you, Techno. :)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I may have missed it, but what's gonna happen to the Bugs/Closed Bugs/Feature Suggestions/Closed FS forums after the bugtracker has been introduced? Nuke 'em? Maybe replace them with GZDoom/QZDoom forums?

EDIT: BTW, great job on having both Home and Wiki links on the ZDoom News forum!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lud wrote:I may have missed it, but what's gonna happen to the Bugs/Closed Bugs/Feature Suggestions/Closed FS forums after the bugtracker has been introduced? Nuke 'em? Maybe replace them with GZDoom/QZDoom forums?
Keep them around for historical purposes but leave them read-only and introduce a redirect to the forthcoming MantisBT(?) system, most likely.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They will be archived. If you want to see what that looks like, here's a live example of how I do it.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Sounds good to me! Thanks.

Return to “General”